Too late to start competing?

myazangel

Jul 15, 2007
I'm 26, a mom, and I want to get into competing in dressage-- mostly as a base for starting a breeding program for dressage horses-- but I didn't grow up around dressage and my riding when I was younger was with strong parental resistance-- so I'm feeling like I'm behind. Is it too late for me to break into the dressage world? Ideas on how to proceed?

welcome to NR. i don't think its ever too late to start something... at 26 you have a lot of time to learn surely?

I consider 26 to still be young and I don;t think its ever to late to start competing :) Go for it- you have years and years ahead of you to get out there and have fun!
You can start at low level local events and work your way up.

Nope.

I trained young horses for a stud/riding school as a hobby but did very little competitively until I bought my first horse at the ripe old age of 28yo.
Peri was an unbacked 7/8 TB 4yo (from the stud I rode for) bought to event. I knew a reasonable amount about dressage but was more of an event orientated person. She was turned to pure dressage as an 8yo and I rapidly got hooked on it. She has competed up to Intermediaire I level and works at GP level, I've done all the training myself with a lot of help from good instructors/trainers. She is now 18yo and bred her first foal last year.

I also have another mare (Tavia) bought mainly for my niece to compete but I've ended up with the ride for various reasons. She was a just backed 4yo and is now competing at Advanced Medium and has done one Advanced. She was due to go PSG at the end of the summer season but has been on the injury list since late April. Thankfully now sound and being got fit.

Belle is my homebred yearling filly. Out of Peri by a stallion competing internationally. I'm hoping she can make that final leap to competitive GP for me. She was my 40th birthday present to myself :D

So started with one, ended up with three :rolleyes: and around all that I keep them on DIY (I lease a yard in partnership with 2 friends), work full-time plus on-calls and some locum work to pay for extra training (and vet bills :rolleyes: ) and maanged to do a PhD part-time alongside all that.

So the short answer was - yes - you can!

i started competing dressage at the age of 29 , just over a year ago , in just over a year we have progressed from prelim to elementary & now ride affiliated & are doing pretty well at it

personally i would say get yourself a good instructor & go for it:)

Absolutely not!

I got my first horse at the age of 31 (had done plenty of hacking but never ridden 'properly'). Started competing at 33 and now at 37 (with some large gaps due to lameness, injury etc :rolleyes:) we are doing well at prelim and novice.

Oh, and I learned to jump at 35 too! ;):D

There is a woman in this week's Horse and Hound who is 59 and competing at high level dresssage - so its not like you don't have plenty of time to get it right...Seriously, wondering if you are too old for anything is a bit of a futile exercise - jsut go for it. Find a good instructor, see how you progress and remeber, its all for fun.

that reminds me , a few weeks ago i was getting my horse tacked up & a lady came back to the trailer with a red rosette , ooh well done i say you won! , she replies , well it only took me 61 years , yes she was 61 & had just started competeing prelim this year & it was her first win , she was happy as a kid with their first red rosette:D

Oh I hope not I got my first horse at 42 and hoping to do dressage soon and Im 43 nearly 44 oops I do sound old

newrider.com