Too big to ride a pony????

Fraggle

Mar 25, 2002
North Wales
Visit site
Here's one for all those people who say they are too tall or their legs are too long for them to ride a pony.

I'm 5 feet 9 inches tall and have very long legs!

This is a photo of me on my Dales pony Sam who is 14.2hh.

Personally, I think we look sensational together. (although admittedly, I'm biased!)

We also do jumping together and have no problems at all.

:D

Attachments

• sam & caz (best) v2.jpg
    sam & caz (best) v2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,361
Last edited:
19 stone of lead he's designed to carry, you are but a feather for him, I say he's got some bone and backside hasn't he?

You both look fine.

He is gorgeous!You look spot on on him.Glad we can see piccis of him after reading your little storys about him.
Ive always been paranoid that I look too big on Bailey but now Ive seen you on sam Im sure I dont look too big as Im only 5ft3.I'll have to get a picci of me when I can ride again!!!

Hi fraggle

I recognise you from the dalesfan forum ( I am Highlandlass). Sam looks an absolute sweetie and you look so relaxed on him. It's great to see pics and hear your news about how it's going. I must try to post some pics of Millie. Keep us up to date with your progress
luv
JoyF

it's good

Hello!

I'm from Hungary,I'm a new visitor in this forum.

One of my friends have a pony too,which is only 135 cm high!The girl is 14 years old,and 165 cm tall.They like each other,and there is no problem with them!
The pony is very strong,and he has never had any problems with his rider!

Have a lot of hapiness with your pony!

if i didnt know my horse was at home i would of thought you have stolen her!
My dales pony looks the spit double of him even down to the small ring of white.

Wally 19 stone of lead ! And i was worried about minnie being to small for me as well god! i can have some more of that chocolate orange now.

OOHHH! I'd better not tell Sam you said he looks like a girl!

Nat17

I'd love to hear more about your Dales pony.

Wally is correct about the 19 stones of lead though, they were bred to carry lead from the mines on 200 mile round trips.

People just seem to assume that all ponies are delicate little creatures.

Sam is built like a tank! (and when he stands on your foot, he feels like a tank too!)

:D

Tell sam i am very sorry. If i told Minnie i thought a boy was her she would also be heatbroken!

Shes 11 and 14.2 and just looks the same as your sam. She is as you have read is called minnie. I have had her 3 weeks now and you may have read whats been happening with her with the river incident.

She is the best thing since sliced bread (and she loves that too!)

I will post piccies as soon as i can.

Cant get over 19 stones its real horse power

Attachments

• newer.jpg
    newer.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 452
YES!

What does it say?

For years I used to ride the Hunt horses, big flash ID X TB and the like, big nags with a big fat wife on board!!:D :D

When I finished my job I used to still take my 13.2hh Haflinger stallion hunting. By Heck did they take the mickey out of me when they saw me riding my real horse. Comments like "You've gone down in the world" were common....until they saw me up at the front, over just as big fences and through rougher country than they could master. I was often left to gather up stray hounds because I could get where the big horses couldn't. They soon shut up! They would often make me do the gates and "you're on the smallest" HA! my horse was better mannered so I didn't HAVE to get off to do the gates, and I could manage the catches 'cos I could reach!

For our trans Atlantic cousins, 19 stones of lead is 266bls!

Hi Wally,

The article is by Carolyn Henderson, To quote the sub title
'In competition and the hunting field, adults often find that a pony serves their needs better than a horse. They are tough, versatile and well up to weight - so why are adult and pony combinations still barred from some events?'

There are some lovely pictures of some ladies out hunting on their 12.2hh Dartmoor ponies. They certainly don't look under-horsed to me! The article goes on to site examples of successful partnerships in endurance, dressage, showing and hunting. It also questions some of the rules that don't allow adults to ride ponies in certain competitions. All the photos are great and not a single one of the ponies looks over-personed!

Amanda

Yup, that's the problem I have, "ponies under 14hh, riders under 16 years old!"

My horse is 13.2hh ish. I'm well over 16 years old.....don't look it though!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

So, why are we still calling them ponies? Small horses is a far more apt description. Ponies were bred for children, small horses were meant to carry MEN and huge agricultural and industrial loads!

newrider.com