Too big for this pony?

Lisandherhorse

Apr 16, 2015
Hi everyone!

I probably going to ride a Welsh for a while, but I'm thinking, Am I too big for the pony? I'm 5'6, 100 lbs and the pony is a Welsh pony of 12.1/12.2hh

What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Reactions: E123h
Keep a good length of stirrup leather, don;t hoik them up in the belief that if your stirrups are short you will look better, All it does is take your centre of gravity up and makes it harder for you and the horse.

I'm 5'6 but don't feel comfortable on ponies that small. I find myself kicking elbows. And the saddle feels far too small for me too. The pony won't have a problem with carrying you but it depends how you feel when you are on board. I know others ride smaller ponies and love it so it may be absolutely fine for you.

Depends on their build. I have ridden 13.1hh and not felt secure but ridden 11.2hh and felt fine. I am 5.5"
These days anything wearing less than a 16" is a no for me bareback is fine.

I ride my daughters 13.1hh fell pony at times and she's such fun. Although I suppose fells are more like a horse with shorter legs:) I don't see a problem with a adult riding a pony as long as the saddle fits you both and the rider isn't too heavy.

newrider.com