Tomorrow is goodbye

I've been thinking about you today. I know it's been said many times before but they are the lucky ones that have caring owners like you that can do the right thing at the right time. As already said, have a good big glass of wine tonight. I hope you're with someone who can share your burden too - but if not, you know we are all here to off-load onto if need be. Look after yourself too, grief is exhausting. xxxx

Thank you all.

One thing about lockdown is my husband is home, he used to be working overseas a lot - every cloud has a silver lining.

I'm kind of ok because I just knew it was the only kind thing to do, and I actually think that if left he'd only have had days anyway. Some of it was things we'd been managing for years, some of it was new, but the combination meant that not even everything was enough to give him a life even as a pet. I think I'm actually more at peace now than I was before when my gut knew that even when he looked bright we weren't really winning - the x-rays confirmed that and made it very easy for me. It also allowed me to plan it so he had some time off diets and with too much pain relief to be safe for more than a couple of days.

Thank you all for being kind xxx

It sounds to me as though his last day was like Ziggy's, both because he was happy and peaceful and because you saw for sure that you were doing the right thing.

it doesn't make it any easier, but well done for being brave on his behalf.

I'm glad your husband is at home - and glad you feel at peace with it. Every day that passes is a step towards your grief healing.xxx

Thank you, I actually am. It helps that everyone is being so supportive, and also that one of the liveries is letting me hack her cob a few times a week - it's good for both of us as he's desperately overweight but she's struggling to ride him every day so I can pick up the slack. Whether he appreciates it may be open to debate - she's a light 81yo, I'm a good bit heavier and insist that he walks out to the best of his abilities so he's working a fair bit harder. However I am sticking to walk, partly because of his weight and partly because he must stay suitable for his owner. At the moment I'm keeping my place on the yard becaue I do intend to get another, but even if I do I'll happily keep this lad doing extra days to help her because they're both lovely and her offer was so very kind.

Reactions: Huggy
Thank you, I actually am. It helps that everyone is being so supportive, and also that one of the liveries is letting me hack her cob a few times a week - it's good for both of us as he's desperately overweight but she's struggling to ride him every day so I can pick up the slack. Whether he appreciates it may be open to debate - she's a light 81yo, I'm a good bit heavier and insist that he walks out to the best of his abilities so he's working a fair bit harder. However I am sticking to walk, partly because of his weight and partly because he must stay suitable for his owner. At the moment I'm keeping my place on the yard becaue I do intend to get another, but even if I do I'll happily keep this lad doing extra days to help her because they're both lovely and her offer was so very kind.
That sounds lovely and I am so glad that you're thinking of getting another too. Sounds like a great situation for both of you right now if he needs the exercise and you can help.

Reactions: Huggy
@Trewsers I'm lost without one, though buying nowadays seems to be a minefield. I don't want a competition horse because I'm not interested in competing, but I would like something that either does or could learn to school to a reasonable level because I love flatwork though I'm rusty now because I haven't done any at a decent level for years. A sound, friendly hack that will go alone or in company without a fuss and has a bit about it is what I'm after, and it must be a people person!

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I'm not sure how a year has gone by, but it has. I still miss you my funny brave little lad xx

I know, I still see Molly Rose Sasa Leo Voddy and Ferguson in the field and they are are but in their forever sleep apart from Sasa who didn't come home from vet hospital. It hurts even with the passing of time.

Hugs Carthorse. Kia’s sleep day is always hard for me. Even with the wee guy I have a good cry then a good laugh but it’s still a very open would three years later ❤️ Thinking of you ❤️ Xx

I am so very sorry😰😰. You made the right decision. Sometimes they develop illness we just can’t control, no matter how hard we try, no matter the money we spend.

You gave him a fabulous, quality life💐💐

Each year we all have to grieve all over again for our own special horse, so everyone understands how you feel. Hugs x

• Love
Reactions: MrC
Thank you. I don't think it ever really heals and a year isn't enough time to even take the edge off.

newrider.com