To start Jumping

GatoMessi

Oct 2, 2021
How many more lessons do you think I should start thinking about jumping?

So far I have had 27 private lessons of 30 minutes each - twice a week since the beginning of July. I've had 2 jumping sessions so far, but that was over (approx.) 15cm poles lol

At the moment, I am very confidence rider - trot (fast trot - almost canter). My balance are improving all the time.

I would like to book riding "holiday" at Galiny Palace in Poland but prefer to do mixture with flat work and over jumping rather than solely on flatwork. I plan to go next March (or late February).

By end of December, I will already have 41 lessons (already booked for 14 more lessons twice a week starting after half-term) and probably will reach my 50th lessons in mid-February.

My RI and I just had this conversation about jumping. She wants me to be able to control pace at trot, so speed up or slow down the horse as I wish while staying in trot, and be able to maintain a forward seat (jumping position) in trot both fast and slow.

She'd also like Sid to be better in canter in the school before we try it to avoid any bucks!

Reactions: GatoMessi
It's not about how many lessons you've had, it's about how well you ride. It sounds as though you don't have canter established yet so to be honest I don't think it would be wise to book jumping sessions on your holiday this time, though you could ask for polework sessions if you wanted a change from pure flatwork. Incidentally a very fast trot sounds to me like you're allowing the horse to lose balance and rush along which is in no way a step towards canter and in fact is a fault that needs fixing - even if you did fall into canter from this it would be a horrible unbalanced canter.

Reactions: PePo and GatoMessi
I would ask if you can include some trot poles in your lessons.
These poles can be placed on the ground or slightly raised cross poles.
The aim would be to help you learn to maintain your position and balance in trot whilst going over them.
The horse should maintain his rhythm, stride and learn to lift his legs higher especially at the raised ones.
Once the instructor is happy you can control the horse and maintain this, they would then start raising them more.

You do need to be able to canter really to do higher poles. So i would suggest that in your lessons without poles you ask to do a bit more canter work and canter transitions.

Reactions: GatoMessi
newrider.com