To small of a circle when lunging

Jasmin Cross

Apr 8, 2017
I am working with a clients horse and I can't seem to get him to make a larger circle when lunging he is so out of shape so all I do is walk trot on the lunge line. But I will swat to u that when he goes around I could reach out and touch him. If I try and let him out he almost steps on the line and I don't want to do that to the horse. This horse is 15 years young. Still a big fire cracker and I am nervous that he might kick me being that close because he must be is a tiny circle. And last time I worked him he got scared of the neighbors Four wheeler and he just about had a hardtack And after that his circle got even smaller. I always get dizzy when working him because he thinks that the circle most be tiny. I have been told that his owner keeps him is a small circle I don't know why but the head trainer has to tell her to let him out and she never does now I have the dizzy horse. Any ideas I need help I don't like getting dizzy.

I am working with a clients horse and I can't seem to get him to make a larger circle when lunging he is so out of shape so all I do is walk trot on the lunge line. But I will swat to u that when he goes around I could reach out and touch him. If I try and let him out he almost steps on the line and I don't want to do that to the horse. This horse is 15 years young. Still a big fire cracker and I am nervous that he might kick me being that close because he must be is a tiny circle. And last time I worked him he got scared of the neighbors Four wheeler and he just about had a hardtack And after that his circle got even smaller. I always get dizzy when working him because he thinks that the circle most be tiny. I have been told that his owner keeps him is a small circle I don't know why but the head trainer has to tell her to let him out and she never does now I have the dizzy horse. Any ideas I need help I don't like getting dizzy.
I would give up on the lunge for now and long rein instead, that way you can better guide him where you want him to be. To be fair long reining is always preferable to me as you can use the whole school not just a circle.

I've just been watching a Monty Roberts video on sending the horse away o the circle to do join up. Might be worth watching for some ideas.
Also some there are some western trainers videos on lunging, teaching how they get the feet moving and turning the back end away so the horse has his eyes on you to stop it kicking.
I would try the send away, not on a lunge line and see what happens.

I understand where you are coming from. It's confidence I think.
To encourage mine to take up the line I had to actually walk alongside her at the distance she would be circling given the chance and make sure my area is big. I do a lot of walking that way. Lunging to me isn't about being stationery.

I also longrein but again initially you might find the lines drag as the horse won't go forwards with too big a gap.

But, if the owner doesn't allow the horse out you could be wasting your time.

I don't mean to be rude but you say you are working on a clients horse!!! surely you are experience enough to know about lunging if someone is paying you

I would not let anyone I was paying to look after my horse lunge or train them if they were not experienced at certain level.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
newrider.com