To plait or not to plait- yearling, inhand.

Treacs

Aug 21, 2004
Cardiff
Visit site
Late last summer/autumn my sister bought a weanling, he is now just over a year and he's going to his first show on Saturday.

He's out of an Arab X Cob mare, by an Appaloosa stallion- so on the lighter side of a middleweight.

Is it correct to plait yearlings if their type dictates so?

Apologies if the answer is obvious, we're new to the youngster showing world.

Ahh, thank you. :)

I just have to break the news to my sister now...
I've got my own to plait so I ain't doing hers too. :p

ETA: Should his tail be plaited too? He hasn't got much but it would probably just about hold a plait.

Last edited:
I think tails are supposed to be plaited or pulled. I prefer plaiting so my yearling gets mane and tail plaited up and looks quite smart :)

plait the mane but tail can be pulled if you prefer. he may have a slightly too short and fluffy taill to plait so you may be better off pulling the tail. my arabXonnie had mane plaited and tail pulled if that is anyhelp he is 15 now

It is more correct to 'pull' the tail. But if you dont want to, and cant plait, dampen it & bandage it well. take off just before class & it will look smarter & less fluffy :D

Thanks for all the advice. :) Looks like we might not make it tomorrow after all, the weather is so bad through here (South Tyneside) and apparently it's just as bad where we're going (Cumberland). Might have to just go to a local show on Sunday instead.

I don't want to risk sopping wet ground and bad driving conditions.
Typical. :rolleyes:

At least the show on sunday is indoors! :p

newrider.com