To hog or not to hog & legs

JMR77

Aug 26, 2015
Hi all,

I currently have a lovely cob gelding Mowgli on LWVTB for 3 months. At present he is hogged but it's growing out fast, my dilemma is do I leave it grow out or re-hog him, opinions please. Also he's fully clipped apart from legs which are so hairy and thick there just caked in mud all the time and so hard to brush/clean should I have them taken off, opinions please. This is 1st time I've had a cob so appreciate what people's views are.

As he is on loan I wouldn't touch anything without the owners consent. When I had mine on loan initially it did actually say in the agreement that she wouldn't have any hair removed.

A hog takes about six months to grow out and a year before you have anything native looking.

Feathers can be maintained. They also take the same time to grow.
My lass is feathered and winters out in clay field.

Eta Just looked at your photos. Those are growing out from being clipped legs by the looks of it. Or not a great clipped out photo.
Once they grow out I think it will be easier to look after in longer hair.
I oil as and when.

Reactions: carthorse
I always left legs on. And I generally don't like hogs! But it's personal preference really.

Reactions: JMR77
As he is on loan I wouldn't touch anything without the owners consent. When I had mine on loan initially it did actually say in the agreement that she wouldn't have any hair removed.

A hog takes about six months to grow out and a year before you have anything native looking.

Feathers can be maintained. They also take the same time to grow.
My lass is feathered and winters out in clay field.

Eta Just looked at your photos. Those are growing out from being clipped legs by the looks of it. Or not a great clipped out photo.
Once they grow out I think it will be easier to look after in longer hair.
I oil as and when.
Yes his legs were clipped they've grown them out for winter....

I'm seriously considering just leaving his hog grow out...I don't mind his hog but it's probably not something I wud of done....as for the legs I'm still undecided but won't be doing anything until I decide to go ahead and buy

Pig oil seems to be the preferred method, apply to clean dry legs and the mud then won't stick so much :)

I personally prefer legs left on, the feathers protect the skin and if you bury your fingers below the surface, even when the top is sopping and muddy, next to the skin is still dry.

Reactions: tikkitti and JMR77
Pig oil seems to be the preferred method, apply to clean dry legs and the mud then won't stick so much :)

I personally prefer legs left on, the feathers protect the skin and if you bury your fingers below the surface, even when the top is sopping and muddy, next to the skin is still dry.
Thank you I will try the pig oil if needs be

Seven Day Mud Away is good too. It doesn't stop the mud but it is a HECK of a lot easier to groom out!!!

I would just grin and bear it until the horse is actually yours. Or consult the current owner for advise and/or permission.

Yep pig oil once a week. Other than that I always leave legs to dry before grooming them. Once dry magic brushes are good to start off then mane and tail brush for the feathers.

I'm seriously considering just leaving his hog grow out...I don't mind his hog but it's probably not something I wud of done....as for the legs I'm still undecided but won't be doing anything until I decide to go ahead and buy
Be prepared for it to point to the moon unless it's done that :) We are growing out a little bit of mane and it's just stopped the pointing. Grin and bear it re hog it will grow out. I might not plait as you could end up with mane that looks curly. :)

Eta this is my thread in regards to my feather clean. I just used tepid warm water and some shampoo. I used my fingers as she prefers that. Towel dried. I only did the fetlock on two legs. You can see the back isn't touching the ground. It allows air to circulate and stops her standing on herself.
http://www.newrider.com/threads/any-confessions-recent-or-otherwise.250043/

Last edited:
My cob has a short neat pulled mane and clipped legs, my younger daughter has a small cob pony and I leave her legs and she has a neat pulled mane. I'm not a massive fan of hogged manes or feathers, however I do appreciate beautifully turned out horses with feather, just as I appreciate some horses really suit a hogged mane. x

Seven Day Mud Away is good too. It doesn't stop the mud but it is a HECK of a lot easier to groom out!!!

I would just grin and bear it until the horse is actually yours. Or consult the current owner for advise and/or permission.

I use seven day mud away it's brilliant!

Any pics? I think they have to have a good neck to pull off being hogged. If hogged though I like it all off, legs included think it can look really smart if the horse is chunky enough. Depends on what your ground is like though. Before I moved I left legs on as much more mud and wetter conditions I felt like they needed the protection now where I am we're pretty luckily hardly any mud, there's hardly any mud to brush off when they come in even now at the end of Feb so I've clipped legs off.

My routine last winter was seven day mud away then brush off with magic brush and curry comb the next morning when it had dried. The seven day mud away is really good though and I noticed a big difference using it. I never wash legs off as always ended up with mud fever if I did. Make sure the owner is happy whatever you choose to do.

Any pics? I think they have to have a good neck to pull off being hogged. If hogged though I like it all off, legs included think it can look really smart if the horse is chunky enough. Depends on what your ground is like though. Before I moved I left legs on as much more mud and wetter conditions I felt like they needed the protection now where I am we're pretty luckily hardly any mud, there's hardly any mud to brush off when they come in even now at the end of Feb so I've clipped legs off.

My routine last winter was seven day mud away then brush off with magic brush and curry comb the next morning when it had dried. The seven day mud away is really good though and I noticed a big difference using it. I never wash legs off as always ended up with mud fever if I did. Make sure the owner is happy whatever you choose to do.

This is Mowgli at the min as u can see hog is starting to grow out and has full legs. If i keep him i am going to clip legs just not sure about whether to continue with growing the hog out :confused:
17264609_10155079935723735_8827508878546146253_n.jpg

Whip it all off :p He's chunky enough. Cob pony on my yard has it all off and it suits him, makes them a bit sportier looking lol.

I think he would look smart all clipped out. He's a lovely chunky monkey with a short stout neck. I can see why he was hogged previously. You can see how it goes over spring/summer. You can always grow it out later on in the year.

newrider.com