To feather lovers....

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
This is probably a really stupid question but I have just taken a cob on part loan and he has lovely feathers.

However, when I go to pick out his feet, the feathers get in the way.

Hints and tips please on how to pick out feet without a big feathery curtain? t

Thanks

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Tis a problem - and not sure I have an answer - usually just sort of brush them to one side and hold it there with side of my wrist whilst I poke about - does that make sense?:unsure: But did used to bandage Sollys up out of the way when having him shod when I lived in UK - had him hot shod and as I used to show him singed feathers would have been mortifying!:giggle:

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I will try and push them to the side and see how I get on!

If that fails, hairnet option it is! :biggrin:

dragzb

Feb 10, 2007
Gwynedd
Tubigrip or leg warmers. Is popularfurball on line she's the guru when it comes to dressing up her pony and does a cracking job but that's for medical reasons.

Although to be honest I'm dying to see loads of feathered cobs dancing around the country in multi coloured leg warmers a la Fame! :giggle:

Madaz_Maddy

Mar 15, 2008
Pick up the foot with the hoof floppy, tuck feathers into fetlock area and bend the fetlock..... TaDa, all tucked in out the way. Aslong as the hoof is held up the feathers will stay out the way :mstickle:

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Tubigrip or leg warmers. Is popularfurball on line she's the guru when it comes to dressing up her pony and does a cracking job but that's for medical reasons.

Although to be honest I'm dying to see loads of feathered cobs dancing around the country in multi coloured leg warmers a la Fame! :giggle:

PMSL, has anyone reported her for psychological damage to her pony yet?!!

Feathers - a pain, but also a blessing - would never have been able to get Flip to lift his hooves if I didn't have hair for leverage!! As for how to get them out of the way, I dunno, I think you just sweep them out the way as you go. Sorry, no sure fire way. Will try MM's idea though.

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
Pick up the foot with the hoof floppy, tuck feathers into fetlock area and bend the fetlock..... TaDa, all tucked in out the way. Aslong as the hoof is held up the feathers will stay out the way :mstickle:

Thank you. This is the plan for tommorow now! :biggrin:

daftdraught

Jul 24, 2009
I know some shire people put pop socks on with the toes cut out when the farrier visits so the feathers don't get burnt, other than that I have never noticed, I bet I do next time I pick feet out now its been mentioned:biggrin:

CMP

Jan 15, 2010

I tried this today and it worked well. No more feathery curtains for me!

Thanks

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west

LOL not that much of a guru... She keeps pulling them off - along with managing to lose three fly masks in as amany days *one really cross mummy* :stomp::stomp::stomp::stomp:

Cant see how to keep them on any better though. considering velcro overreach boots to stop her ripping the front ones off, but the back ones slip over to one side, and gradually fall off until I found her 6hrs later with backs trailing on floor, and fronts shredded :banghead::banghead:

And to really annoy me? Todays fly mask that was on for all of 4hours was brand new yesterday :mad: