To clip or not to clip?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
When Tango was at the RS he was being ridden 5 days a week, for up to 3 hours a day (max - and a lot of that could have been beginners work so not working too hard, but who knows!)

Anyway, there he was clipped with everything taken off except legs and head. He was apparently one of the first to be rugged in the Autumn as felt the cold a bit.

My question is, should I continue to clip? I had hoped to ride once in the week and then at weekends in the Winter but I've just heard from riding buddy that she won't be able to ride in the week so is more likely that it'll just be weekends. We usually go out for around an hour / hour and a half, doing walk, trot and hopefully by then, canter too!

What do you think? I know it really depends on the horse but as I'm such a beginner at this, and his workload will be greatly different I just don't know what to do!

I would say if in doubt don't. It's easier to give him a little keyhole clip later if he's getting sweaty than put the fur back if he is getting cold!!!!

I wouldn't clip now, I would see how it goes and if you find that he is becoming hot and sweaty when you ride him, you can always clip later.

Yes, definitely wait. They all cope differently in the Winter and have different types of coats. Ed works quite hard and is already getting sweaty - had to wash him down today when I got back from our hack. So, I will be having him trace clipped early October, then re-clipped end Nov.

If tango does get sweaty you can go for a bib clip, which will help

Ooh yes - I won't be doing anything just yet. Was more just forward planning!

But good point Jane! I'll go with that - wait and see what he needs. Maybe a halfway house bib or trace clip would be enough. At least I won't need to worry about clipping him. Apparently they used to use him for people learning to clip on as he was so good about it! :giggle:

Thank you!

I've been thinking about the very same thing. Am undecided at the moment as depends on how the weather pans out as to whether I'll be riding enough to warrant clipping or not.

Unless your planning to ride most days and do enough to make you horse sweat more than the saddle and girth area I would not clip. Its easier to keep the horse warmer and spend a little more time drying the wet patched as and when you ride.

Joyscarer would probably be a good one to ask - I believe she gives Joy a bib clip in winter, riding a few times a week including some fast work (I believe?!) and leaves her unrugged throughout winter.

I haven't clipped Roxy before but she has been turned away the last 2 winters. Hopefully with the way things are going she will have a small bib clip, providing I'm riding a few times a week. She gets proper hairy so will get warm very easily I should imagine!

Always best to start small & clip more if necessary I figure - but it'll be a learning curve for me too so you're not alone there!

Joy had just a bob clip the first year she was done. She was scared of clippers so I desensitised her and thought just a bin clip was enough for a first clip.

Now she'll have another neck and belly clip and will live out unrugged. I should just point out at this stage that Joy is an exceptional good doer, she's extremely hardy (even with temps to -7 she didn't want a rug and her clip didn't glow out), the field has loads of shelter from all sides, she tends to gain weight over winter as I can't restrict grazing as I do in summer as I'm on clay.

Personally for me, the key is taking off as little as I need to to avoid the need to rug. Going for a neck and belly, as opposed to just a bib, suits our situation. Joy is a welsh with a very high welshy trot so having the girth area clipped too makes things easier for me and decreases the risk of rubs from hidden mud in all that fluff. Even if I did rug, I'd still have her girth are done.

I'd advise to go with having the minimum done and getting more taken off late if needs be until you find what's right for you.

I started off playing it by ear. As the work level went up I clipped a little then added to it if needed. You don't necessarily need to clip to any "named clip" but take off perhaps half of the neck and around the girth area and work from there.

I didn't with Rosie last year as it was our first Winter. The same for you this year.

I thought I would see how she was. We only really hack.

She did get sweaty though not terribly. She was rugged most of the time anyway over the winter so she didn't drop too much weight. Mainly lightweights with a medium on during those very cold days/nights.

This year I probably will clip, though only a small bib. Can always take more off if needed. I plan to be doing more work with her this winter.

I don't know what she will be like with clippers yet. I have tied her up in the area when others have been clipping and she seemed totally chilled so fingers crossed!

newrider.com