Tips to slow down fast canter?

newoldrider

Mar 4, 2011
Near Towcester
Hello all, I've gained a bit of confidence recently in cantering (in the school), lost a bit when I fell off, then regained a bit more.

Went out on my second hack on Sunday - on the first one, we walked and trotted and I assumed this time would be the same. The hack leader did a quick assessment in walk and trot in the school and we set off.

I was on a pony I'm not familiar with and we got a bit left behind when he stopped for a wee. The hack leader said "everyone OK to canter this bit?" and before I could squeal "not really!" they were off. My boy panicked slightly about being left behind and took off really fast (have only ever cantered indoors and slowly). I was terrified and briefly considered bailing out but stayed on.

I didn't get a chance to explain to the hack leader that I'd never cantered outside before when they set off again. This time felt a little more in control and less panicky.

What's the best way to slow down a canter that's too fast for you? Sit deep? Try to relax (can you hear that hollow laughter?!) and soften tummy and seat muscles? Half halts? Give him his head and wait for him to stop? I know that my scared reaction - tense up, start bouncing and pull tight on the reins was NOT the right thing to do - and had no impact as far as slowing down was concerned.

(And yes, in future, I will make sure that the hack leader knows what my capabilities, experience and expectations are before we set off.)

Oh dear poor you but well done for staying on and seeing it through.

Everyone will tell you something different. personnel I would sit my ass down in the saddle (this action alone could release your death grip with yours knees and calfs) sit up and use a good half halt.

If a horse is following a pack they will generally try and stay up with them sometimes this means that as you are not at the front they will pick the pace and it may well be that it is faster than you are use to and the pony you ride will not slow up at all until they all stop.

Next time ask if you can go at the front so you feel more in control

Ram heels down, sit up straight and play with the bit, if they are hammering it home they'll set thier neck, if you can play at getting them to flex one way and the other that may help.

I always canter out with my reins in a bridge like jockeys do, gives me fantastic control of Hens and I can hold him when he wants to wizz!

I would make sure the next hack you go on you discuss your issues with the ride leader and they may, for instance, start you in the middle of the ride so you aren't left behind.

Ah, the joys of an RS hack!!! I don't miss it!

I have been in your situation before (several times) where you are going too fast and feel completely out of control, unfortunately RS horses are generally conditioned to follow the leader, never mind the fact that all horses are herd animals and HATE being left behind.

With my calm head on I would have relaxed, shifted my weight backwards and played with the bit - it would be a pressure-release mechanism with my fingers, if you just pull you are giving them the 'frame' to set their neck. But you sound like you know that already, you just need to give yourself the chance to calm down. Alternatively if you are feeling confident, sit deep, or choose the two-point position and go with it. They will stop when they reach the rest of the herd.

I think it's all a matter of saddle time for you - you have already described the methods most of us would use, so you know what to do, you were just caught unaware and panicked (just like I did a couple of years ago when I got left behind at a gallop along the beach!). The more you do these things the more it will become second nature. I still get that moment of panic, but find it easier now to calm down and mentally talk myself through the aids I need to give.

Well done for staying with it and I really hope this doesn't dent your confidence too much.

That exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago - horse stops for a wee at the back of the line and the rest decide to canter off:eek: I handled it by hanging on for dear life, tring to sit deep while thinking I was probably going to die (it was a narrow track with overhanging branches, barbed wire both sides, and muddy footing) and trying not to unbalance my horse by pulling on him, knowing damn well I wasn't going to be able to stop him. Luckily someone pulled up and waited for us, bless her.

I think you did absolutely the right thing, and it's just part of the learning curve. Next time it won't be so scarey, and you'll be more ready, and you'll anticipate the "Eeek, they are all going without me!" panic and probably be able to nip it in the bud with a couple of good half halts.

(BTW, I baled out once when a horse took off with me and ended up with a broken toe and sprained ankle and on crutches for a month, 'cause I landed awkwardly and the horse trod on my foot. If I'd stayed on I'd most likely have been absolutely fine - I just panicked)

I also canter with my reins in a bridge if I'm in company and not in front, Tia will not get left behind at any cost, and will gallop at full tilt if she is behind a horse that is faster than she, this has caused some hairy moments along a narrow bridleway with low hanging branches! We always canter with me in a forward or light seat, so when I want her to slow down I pull back on the reins and sit back in the saddle, it does work.

Echo the above re the bridge, you really do feel as though you are much more in control, and if your horse suddenly trips or stops, you are less likely to go over their head.

Thanks all so much for the comments and suggestions. Have calmed down now and am not put off future cantering efforts!

I understand the "playing with the bit" part - squeeze-release-squeeze-release with both hands and alternate hands. I'm not sure what's meant by holding the reins in a bridge - what does this involve? Thanks.

Its a bugger when you get caught unawares but all the advice already given is good advice. Sometimes and i know this is not want you want to hear you just have to go with the flow give them their head a bit and then use all the tools in the box that everyone has identified. Calm and relaxed but its not always easy under stress especially if you havent done it before. But hey, you did well and should be proud of yourself.

Ram heels down, sit up straight and play with the bit, .

Agh no !! do not play with the bit this is a recipe to create a hard sore mouth,

Instead do what you have already suggested yourself, explain to the ride leader your capabilities so that you are put on a horse that you are safe on and will slow /stop when asked no matter if it is left behind or not.

Asking a horse to slow up with one rein also works, using two reins teaches a horse to brace and pull against you.
Mind i can see how being on a horse seeing trees and bushes whizzing past you puts all logic to one side :wink:

To be honest in that situation I don't think that there is really much that you can do other than stay in balance and look straight ahead to where the other horses are. In my experience if you are at the back of the RS hack all your horse will want to do is catch up with the others. If you try and stop and interefere too much you run the risk of really winding the horse up and risking the horse bucking/rearing to get rid of you so it can catch it's friends. RS horses like to be together in a group and there isn't much you can do to stop this.

If I was at the back, I would have just tried to relax and gone with it really, as the pony would have stopped when they stop anyway?

Thanks all, it's the "just try and relax" bit I struggle with :wink: I'm off to France tomorrow with some v experienced riders and we will be going hacking. Everyone has promised they don't want to canter, but I will bear all your kind advice in mind just in case! Will report back when we get home.....

Agh no !! do not play with the bit this is a recipe to create a hard sore mouth,

Instead do what you have already suggested yourself, explain to the ride leader your capabilities so that you are put on a horse that you are safe on and will slow /stop when asked no matter if it is left behind or not.

Asking a horse to slow up with one rein also works, using two reins teaches a horse to brace and pull against you.
Mind i can see how being on a horse seeing trees and bushes whizzing past you puts all logic to one side :wink:

I think you've misunderstood by what I mean by 'play with the bit' I mean use alternate pressure on each rein rather than just blindly pulling, instead of pulling to stop try and get some flexiion in the neck to regain control.

Thanks all, it's the "just try and relax" bit I struggle with :wink: I'm off to France tomorrow with some v experienced riders and we will be going hacking. Everyone has promised they don't want to canter, but I will bear all your kind advice in mind just in case! Will report back when we get home.....

Have fun, and ..........PHOTOS PLEASE!:biggrin:

Thanks all so much for the comments and suggestions. Have calmed down now and am not put off future cantering efforts!

I understand the "playing with the bit" part - squeeze-release-squeeze-release with both hands and alternate hands. I'm not sure what's meant by holding the reins in a bridge - what does this involve? Thanks.

Its what the jockeys do, it's really difficult to describe. You take the loop bit of the rein that hangs down, so that you end up with two lengths of reins in your hand, and move your hands up the horses neck, will see if I can find a link, because I am not explaining it at all! When I want to stop Tia I just move my hands towards me slightly.

http://www.equine-world.co.uk/riding_horses/gallop.asp this might help?

What a rubbish hack leader you had there, newoldrider! She should have been watching all was ok and together before they cantered.

Haven't had chance to read all so may be repeating someone else's advice.

Sit up and relax in saddle (fight urge to go into fetal position) heels down, slightly forward and 'half halt' on both reins. Same if it really 'galloped off' plus the 'cross you reins and make a loop' like others have suggested. Don't forget to 'steer' or you can end up carted of under trees etc. Usually when others stop yours stops so leg forward, heels down will prevent you being catapulted into horse in front. If horse happened to take off 'on its own'. same principle, half halts, cross reins, if this fails start turning horse in a circle to disengage the hind legs. Start with a large circle and get smaller until horse slows down and you regain control....Then get off and have a large Brandy:giggle::giggle:

Hi Agree will all the above comments x I had a lesson in a very big field last week and there was only me and my horse lol - riding school horses are very different and you to stay safe will just need to go with the flow - keep your hands down and dont fight , sit upright , do not fold and look straight ahead - even if the steering is excited I learnt a valuable lesson just look ahead and imagine a spot where you wanna be - ideally at the back of the ride !! lol x And Breathe and say out load - canter , canter , canter - canter - enjoy xx

newrider.com