Tips please - extra strong Chloe!!!!

Fab filly

Feb 26, 2009
Hi,

Sone of you may know I have just got a new gg.....she is extreamly stong!I can handle it and have had strong horses before but I was after an tips people may have. I know she needs to settle a bit first!

She is ridden in a jointed pelham, curb chain and lip strap and standing martingale. I dont really want to keep her in a standing martingale if at all poss. She carried her head very high, she doesn't pull as such, more leans on the reins. As soon as she stands she chill right out.

She is 18 and a cob cross. I think she is brill just as she is, so much fun, not nasty in anyway but my arms will end up looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger soon!!!!!!

I'd try swapping the jointed pelham for a mullen mouth, ideally with a fairly narrow mouthpiece. A joint means that the curb chain never really comes into play so you may as well just have a hanging snaffle.

What happens if you give her the rein & she has nothing to lean on? On some horses this works really well, on others you end up in the next county so only you can decide if it's a safe thing to try!

Ideally I'd get a good RI out for a couple of lessons & see what they advise. It's so much easier when you can see the problem.

Hi Carthorse,

Thanks for the advice, Ill look at that bit. Do you use it with a curb chain? I havent heard of a mullen mouth before.

Im on the hunt for a RI, but cant find any in Rugby, warwickshire who are freelance.

I ride her long ish anyway. The shorter your reins the faster she goes! She is just so forward going, not scary, she just loves being ridden. She was very bouncy last night! She was cantering on the spot ebery now and then, although it was the first time I had ridden her since getting her 2 days ago.

yes you use a curb chain, its just a normal pelham apart from the mouthpiece is un-jointed and slightly curved :)

how is she strong? leans down, pulls up/forwards or just rushes everywhere?

newrider.com