Tips for when the NH trainer comes out

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
I have had lots of problems with my Haffi mare Rosie since I got her early Feb and they are described in great detail in mature riders 'always pushing my buttons'.

Essentially when walking in hand she 'naps' on the way home - this involves barging, rearing, leaning on me etc.

When riding she is 'wooden mouthed' ie wont turn, bucks, pulls, can rear, does everything she can to throw you off and generally is very resistant to work etc. and after several falls I have lost all confidence and havent ridden for about 6 weeks and have been advised not to as I am a novice and she is taking the mickey.

I have decided to call in the help of Sarah Weston holder of the Monty Roberts Preliminary Certificate in Horsemanship to help me. I am looking specifically at biting (thinking of going bitless) and on reschooling in a gentler style. Rosie definately needs to go right backs to basics as she has no manners whatsoever.

The reason i am posting is that I dont really know what to expect when she gets here. Its quite a lot of money to pay out and I dont want to be ripped off! Plus as a novice i dont want to look stupid! What sort of questions should I be asking? What would you expect her to be doing as an absolute minimum?

She has already said she will look at her general condition, tack etc and advise if I need to seek additional professional help ie physio, saddler etc. She will start us off on some groundwork exercises and she provides a (no additional cost) full written report. In future sessions she would support my work with my horse at home and offer me training as and when needed or if riding problems are complex Rosie could go to her on DIY livery. What else should I be looking for?

This all seems good to me hence why I hope to go ahead but just wanted some general advice before I book the session. What are your thoughts guys? Does anyone actually know her?

i wasn't really sure what to expect when heather first came out. she wanted to see the communication between me and my chap to see on the ground where aer relationship was.

i would expect her to show you all the games not necessarily in one hit, that depends if you want to do nh as a whole or just work on the one thing. it sounds like you have some herd leader issues, and i would not be riding the pony until i have all the groundskills in place. heather looked at me and said "please don't tell me you hack this out!" i spent 6 months on his groundwork before he was safe to be got back on. it's not a quick fix.

I have had lots of problems with my Haffi mare Rosie since I got her early Feb and they are described in great detail in mature riders 'always pushing my buttons'.

Essentially when walking in hand she 'naps' on the way home - this involves barging, rearing, leaning on me etc.

When riding she is 'wooden mouthed' ie wont turn, bucks, pulls, can rear, does everything she can to throw you off and generally is very resistant to work etc. and after several falls I have lost all confidence and havent ridden for about 6 weeks and have been advised not to as I am a novice and she is taking the mickey.

I have decided to call in the help of Sarah Weston holder of the Monty Roberts Preliminary Certificate in Horsemanship to help me. I am looking specifically at biting (thinking of going bitless) and on reschooling in a gentler style. Rosie definately needs to go right backs to basics as she has no manners whatsoever.

The reason i am posting is that I dont really know what to expect when she gets here. Its quite a lot of money to pay out and I dont want to be ripped off! Plus as a novice i dont want to look stupid! What sort of questions should I be asking? What would you expect her to be doing as an absolute minimum?

<snip>

Oooh - this sounds exciting, Anna! I look forward to hearing all about it - meanwhile, I can't offer any advice except to say don't worry about looking stupid; she's there to help you, and she can't help much if she doesn't know what you're like (I'm pretty sure you won't look stupid anyway!).

:)

I guess I have been reluctant to go with the instructors I have been in touch with so far as just didnt get 'good vibes' off them - got the feeling that they would be getting Rosie to do stuff with the aid of a big stick. Having thought about it, I dont smack my children out of principle and wouldnt smack my dog either (except in extreme circumstances) so why is it OK to treat my horse like that? I would smack her if she was being dangerous, without hestitation, but not as the norm.
As I have made the decision to keep working with Rosie (whether or not she is sold but its not looking likely at the mo!) I am aware that I am fumbling in the dark and need some help and direction.
I am pretty excited about both doing the Parelli and working with Sarah and think that my fears are just nervousness and excitedness! Will book our first session for next week.

your starting out on a path of discovery, it will be very interesting.
she will make you feel relaxed, she is there to help you, so don't worry.
it's positive on your part that you have asked for help. some of us have difficult fellows and doing the home study was not really getting me anywhere.
my chap had already marked the pages to ask me questions and i couldn't help him.

Does anyone actually know her?

I do :) She's absolutely lovely, very down to earth and practical and very much in the style you are looking for, no big pressure and absolutely no hitting. No need to be nervous at all :) I hope you and your horse have a really nice positive session with her, it will be as much about showing you how to go about things as your horse :)

newrider.com