tips for remembering tests?

scottishterrier

Jun 18, 2008
Scotland
Hi all, im doing my very first dressage comp next week and im really struggling to get the test right in my head, i can have it called out but i also feel i need to know what im doing in advance. what do you do to remember?
x

there are lots of cds about with them on listen to them in your car etc headphones whilst going to sleep, ipod whilst riding etc.
Works for me :)

there are many ways. find a way that suits you ;) here are a few ways that i use - hope some of them suit you :p;)
* read through the test once and as you read through it imagine the shapes you're riding
* read the test through once, then on second read through try imagining that you are riding the test and imagine where you are in the school and where you've got to go. turn the page and ride the test in your head
* track on a piece of paper with your finger where the test goes and tell yourself what pace you're meant to be in and where there are transitions, give and retake etc.
*use a learn a test board
* take the test with you when you ride

when you don't have a comp coming up practise learning and riding the tests - then when a comp does come up you are only refreshing your memory rather than learning the test. i do a lot of dressage calling and learn the test i'm calling so when i do compete, if i've called it i tend to remember it with a glance through.

im doin my 1st dressage test sunday too
i rememberd it straight away by keep practacing it and drawin it on a piece of paper and doin it in dif colours like doin walk trot canter etc in dif colours :D

thanks guys, i don't get the sheet untill tomorrow evening so hope it aint too hard, its just a walk and trot test as ive never done a dressage test in my life and the horse has a history of being a mental case in these situations lol

You need to find out what kind of learner you are. Visual, kinasthetic or auditory. Once you know that you can find the best way for you. If you're not sure I can suggest ways for each type of learner. You'll probably see which way would work for you.:)

A lot of tests are repeated on the other rein so you only have to memorise one half then do it again the other way round.

I know it sounds stupid and you may feel a bit childish - but walk and trot it around your garden (while the neighbours are out preferably so they don't think your a right old loony;)) and when it comes to the test itself it will be like second nature.

I know it sounds stupid and you may feel a bit childish - but walk and trot it around your garden (while the neighbours are out preferably so they don't think your a right old loony;)) and when it comes to the test itself it will be like second nature.

thats actually a good idea, my daughter is doing the same test(with a leader) so will be fun for us both!

You're a kineasthetic learner then, you need to DO something rather than listen and learn or draw pictures and diagrams to help.
So practise as much as you can with your horse and when you can't, canter round the lounge or garden as suggested.
Good luck!:)

newrider.com