Tips for moving yards?

HairyCob

Has anyone seen my mind?
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Dolly and I are off to pastures new on Tuesday:eek:

After six months at my current yard, we (that is me and my YO's!) have decided that Dolly and I would benefit from being somewhere with other liveries and lessons and such like, so with some trepidation and sadness, Dolly and I are on the move.

So, has anyone got any tips to make things go as smoothly as possible? I've just about moved everything but her, her feed, her tack and her travel boots so far, and everything is just about ready for her, but what about when we get there?

Turn her straight out? (individual paddocks)
Let her spend time in her stable first?
Ride her right from the start or give her a few days to settle in?

I'm itching to get her in the schooling paddock and over the jumps....:D :D

Quite seriously, any tips would be gratefully recieved:)

Well.... I would say tack her up the second you arrive, give her a nice good canter round and jump a 3' course... That should settle her nicely!!!! :D ;)

On the other hand, you could take the slightly safer option of doing what feels right when you get there... I suspect turning her out into her paddock will be the order of the day as she has been out 24/7 for the past few months anyway, hasn't she? She can then check out the competition over the fence and have a good gossip if she feels like it :D

And good luck for the move BTW :)

Oh, yes! *coughs* Sorry Norm, ahem, Dolly and I won't be in the same place on Saturday when you come down....! Will PM you:D

No advice for you HC but good luck to you both - sounds like a good plan and, Hey, if it doesn't work out I'm sure they'll have you back.

Looking forward to hearing of all your new tales and excitement!

I;m sure Imp will help.

xx

Dee

When I moved (or should I say S_F_S moved) Bryony to her new home she was turned out straight away and I left her to meet her new friends (over the fence) then I came back about 5 hrs later and rode her in the school. She was fine with it all and took it all in her stride.

Depends on the horse. Turnout straightaway, definately, but as to the riding, laid back types suit riding straight away (thats what you'd do at a show anyway, box somewhere new then ride). Fizzier types need a day or teo to settle in. Whatever you do, start your new routine asap.

We moved about 3 weeks ago and I had a sleepless week leading up to it as I was anxious about it. However, it went very smoothly.

Whenever I have moved I have turned out straight away and left a couple of days before riding.

We took Bach's Walnut Flower Essence (which is for major change) as well as Rescue Remedy and that definitely helped too.

Good luck!!

Have I missed something??

You're moving!!

Do you have to worm her when she gets there?? Some yards will ask for you to keep them in for 24hrs before you turn out, some let you turn straight out.

I think if possible then turn her out after about half an hour and if possible on her own but in sight of other horses.

If she's going to have a stable then set it up with all her bits before she gets there.

Try and keep to your routine aswell.

I'm afraid that I am of the opinion that they don't need a few days off to settle, I don't tend to ride on moving day but always take them in the school the day after for a short schooling session.

I think I actually long reined Bry the day we moved though!!

Good luck and lots of moving day pics please.

I do have to worm her when I get there Bobbin, but all the horses are in individual paddocks (next to each other, but seperated by leccy fence) and everyone Poo picks every day, so she can go out if I want her to, and I think that would be best for her.

Bless her, she's going to be so overwhelmed by the *grass* in her (tiny for now!) paddock that I doubt she'll worry about much else:D

I was thinking of giving Dolly 'moving day' off only, then riding her in the school until she calms down... she's going to need some exercise cause of her fat belly:D

Sounds from what most of you have said, that my plan should be OK:D

Thanks guys! Keep those tips coming:)

Turn her out on the first night and walk her round on the moving day, or the day after (in hand or ridden) so that she can see her new surroundings and meet some new friends.
Try to keep everything as close to how it was at your old yard, like her routine etc..
Good luck! :D

Hi, our move was a bit different as Peanuts is 2 so not riden yet. Also he is in a field with others...

I had just wormed him, so the new yard kindly had theirs in the same night peanuts arrived to worm them :) And this meant all his new 'friends' were indoors that night too.
I took him for a walk around his new yard after a small feed - as he was a hungry boy on arrival - it was his tea time. :)

He stayed in the next day and I turned him out in the evening with the others. We stayed the other side of the gate for a while and he stayed by the gate, then wandered off for a graze.

I went back an hour later and checked him... he was with 3 other ponies, and they are firmly best of friends now ;)

Good luck with your move! I really wish you well, sounds like a fab yard for you!

Ooh, had no idea you were seriously thinking of moving, Claire :) At least it's a good move, and no trouble with your YO's!

Your plan sounds like a good one :D Poor Mia has moved about five times in the last year, and I've ridden her day after every single time. I think I rode her the day of once, too.

Good luck with the move! Hope you really enjoy your new place! Bet it'll be nice to have other people to ride with and stuff! :D

Just a thought: Mia doesn't move well, so she's always covered in sweat when we get to where we're going (even if it was only a 20 minute drive :rolleyes: ). I always put her in the cross-ties for awhile, sponge her off (would hose her if she wasn't terrified of the hose ;) ), and give her a good grooming/loving/etc...then turn her straight out (or put her in the stall, depending on where I'd moved her at that particular time :p )

Well no advice really but good-luck with it all and I hope it all goes smoothly! :)

I thought you had to keep them in for 24 hrs if you wormed them. :confused: Do you think Dolly misses being groomed by others when on separate grazing? Just wondering;)

Did I hear a hint of jumping in the new yard for you Claire? Look forward to those pictures. I know it will be a huge acheivement for you. As you know I love to jump. :D

Hey, I just saw this thread - I had no idea you were moving.

I moved yards a couple of times when I first got Skeeter. On both occasions I let him have a few days off riding, but I did walk him around the arena on a leadrope and let him check out the fascinating corners and smells, so when I did ride he would feel he was somewhere comfortable. It all went well, so that seemed to work for us.

Enjoy the new yard. :)

Wahey, go Claire! :D. Good luck with the move. I have never moved from my yard and probs never will, so i havent much advise about it - but good luck :D - are you going early?

Jenny xx

Thanks all for your advice- I'm sure Dolly will be fine, It's me that has the wibbles:rolleyes: :D

Nic- you shouldn't turnout for 24hours after worming if they are in together or if paddocks aren't poo picked regularly- but I suspect Dolly's will be done every hour for the first couple of days, cause I'll be there hanging over the fence watching her!!

Kalypso said:
Ooh, had no idea you were seriously thinking of moving, Claire :) At least it's a good move, and no trouble with your YO's!

It is lovely to be able to move with my YO's backing and blessing Kalypso- not like last time, eh?!:rolleyes:

Current YO's are very supportive of this move, and like me think it will benefit Dolly and I no end...such a shame my original YO didn't have the same attitude:rolleyes:

newrider.com