Time to start riding again

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Mel has had to whole summer of as I have been really bad with depression but I am coming out of it now....I have lost 1 1/2 stone and a whole dress size down from earlier in the year. I am going to bring melody in an re start riding just gentle plods for now. It will help boost my mood I think.
I am kick starting my life after a crappy few months. I much prefer autumnal riding anyway :D

Been away from the forum and facebook but want to start contributing to the forum again where I can.

Welcome back and well done on the weight loss. I hope you are aware that loosing weight can cause depression? Well known that, if it is a low fat diet.

Reactions: Native Lover
Welcome back and well done on the weight loss. I hope you are aware that loosing weight can cause depression? Well known that, if it is a low fat diet.
Thanks Skib...... I didnt know that about weightloss. I thought being at the gym would boost my mood rather than cause depression. I have to drag myself there some days at the minute but on the whole I feel better once I have been.

You have done so well - I am another one you have shamed into trying to lose some weight - been inactive for about 4 weeks now and the weight has piled on :( Hopefully when I can get doing a bit more I will start to shift it. :(

How is your youngster with the lymphangitis doing now NL? Hopefully fully recovered?

Well done on the weight loss. Depression is a horrible cross to bear and I sometimes find that horses are as much an added stress as they are helpful! Hope you have a happy horsey autumn/winter!

Reactions: orbvalley
Well done on the weight loss! Sorry to you've had a hard time, I'm sure riding and being round the horses will help you feel better.

Yes I think exercise boosts one's mood - tho obviously not if one is clinically depressed. But insufficient fat in the diet will cause depression - so do some hormonal related drugs. I cant find the main research from USA which came from low fat dieting but here is a link to start you off
https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/Diet_Depression.pdf

If I am trying to lose weight, a tin of sardines in water with salad or veg is a good way to get the fish oil plus calcium from the bones. I dont take supplements. I also eat almonds which I roast at home (another source of fat) - but I get addicted to those and they are very high calory if one eats a lot.

newrider.com