Time to say goodbye

K

kestrel

Hi. Over the last fortnight the spark has started to fade in my mare's eyes. She's been on & off stiff over the last year & vet said that it's her spine (very sway-backed now). She's now 26 & had quite a hard life before she came to me 6 years ago.
Yesterday i went to rug her up as it was pouring with cold rain & i knew that she would be shivering otherwise. All four legs didn't seem coordinated & she kept lifting her hind legs as though to try & click her hips. She did this 2 years ago but as quickly as it started it cleared up. This time i feel that maybe it's time to let her go as i don't think she should suffer an undignified end. My main concern is should she lie down she may get stuck & panic (highly strung).
Today she's not as bad but you can see that her legs aren't moving properly. Vet says that at her age it's not worth pulling her about inside (suspects kissing spines).
Naturally i'm devastated but do not want her to be in pain.
I looked her in the eye last night & said that if she's ready to go, i'd understand. Wondering if i should make the call tomorrow...

Sorry to be a bit depressing :eek:

poor girl, i do feel for you and this is something no one can really give you advice on, she is your horse and you know her best, if you believe its for the best then as a horse lover you dont have to justify anything to anyone or yourself your just doing what you feel is the best and kindest thing for your friend.

i wish you well and dont beat yourself up as thats what gets you the most, ive been in your shoes and its got to be the worst place to be in the world.

thinking of you though and sorry i couldnt help you at all xxx

i am ever so sorry for you, but well done for putting her first. how about calling the vet for a visit to discuss it, and possibly make an appointment afterwards? if vet can see her then they may be able to either confirm your thoughts or have something to try out, or at least to make her comfy for the rest of the summer.

Such a difficult time for both of you, you are doing exactly the right thing even thinking about your options, I'd agree totally with Mehitabel, let your vet help you decide. And remember it is always better a week too soon than even one hour too late.

Very best wishes to you and your girl, let us know how things go

xx

Make sure you make the right decision as hard as it may be. There was a horse at the sanctuary i go to a few months ago very ill and couldnt walk properly and we had the vet coming to put her down the next day. But she seemed a lot stronger the next day. And has continued since with a lot of care. Thoughts are with you. :( X

Really feel for you - I have been there. For me, there was no doubt that we had to let Crystal go when we did. It was in her eyes, she was looking at me almost for help but only you know and only you can make this decision. Dont rush your decision as it needs to be the right one. It is heartbreaking but you will know in your heart of hearts if and when the time is right ((()))

As I've said before, take your time, really look into her eyes and you will just know.

Sending you lots of hugs and you are being very very brave xxxx

seems from what you say that the winter is going to be a no no, but maybe she would be able to have a last summer till september or so?

sometimes they have a bad day then rally but you are the one who sees her all the time, and sometimes they just go a notch down and it is enough for them to find life just a struggle.

i would have a discussion with your vet and just monitor her daily, but you know her better than anyone - at her age you are right not to mess with her too much but there might be minor changes that could be made for her comfort.

tough decision, feel for you.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, really appreciate them.
I checked on her this morning & she seems a bit better.
The thing is she's usually really naughty & loves to whirl around being daft. This she had done 'til recently. She's not the kind of horse that's happy being calm & sensible. (Rebellious pensioner!)
Diet-wise she has Hi Fi with oil & cider vinegar added. I put magnetic boots on once a week for a day (this worked really well until recently too). She's in 24/7 turnout as she has major issues with being stabled & will hurl herself around but then i think shutting her in will just make her seize up anyway.
Will discuss with vet any possible options & see if it's possible to maintain her (as long as she's comfortable).
Thanks again everybody, it's reassuring to know you're out there. :)

Pleased to hear she is doing a bit better today, what a horrible situation for you to be in and one I am dreading with my lot.

So glad to read that she's a bit brighter.

There is a pensioner who is stabled with my sisters horses, she is 36 and had a bit of a bad winter but is blooming at the moment, due to my sister increasing her feed, putting oil into her, making sure she's always got hay and me pointing out that her winter rug is nowhere near waterproof so the poor old girl was saturated the whole day. Her owner is lovely but slightly hapless.

You wouldn't think she was 36. And right now she looks like she'll see the lot of us our. It seems such a shame that some horses don't make it to anywhere near that age. I guess that's life.

Kestrel, you just keep on doing what you're doing, she's lucky to have you to take care of her.

Z x

newrider.com