Time to return?

Lell

Mar 28, 2003
North West
Visit site
Hello all! (Sorry its a bit long)

Just lookin for some opinions really. Usual story really, U used to have riding lessons when u were a kid and spent every spare minute helping out at the stables. Those teenage hormones came along and tried to convince u that boys are more fun than horses. Before you know it, its been years since you rode and you feel like you've forgotten it all.

This happened to me until i decided to go to a trekking centre on holiday... just for old times sake. The minute i slipped my hat and boots on i was hooked again! The sights and sounds of the busy yard... even the smell!!! By the time i had mounted i had begun to giggle and grin like an idiot. It felt so natural... like coming home and i couldnt understand how i ever gave it up.
A warm up in the school later and it was all flooding back. My two hour trek flew by and i was aching for more!

Since then i am well and truly addicted to all things horsey again, and have spent hours on different websites and bought a few books to refresh my memory. I have just booked another weekend break (an excuse to get back in the saddle!) and can't wait.

I'm in a much better position now to take up riding again but have one niggling worry... my weight. I'm a size 18 and weigh 15 stone. I am reasonably fit but my large frame makes me anxious about riding. The more exercise i do to lose weight, the more i 'bulk up' with muscle so its becoming increasingly frustrating putting riding on hold til i lose weight. Should i continue trying to lose weight or just go for it?

You all seem really genuine so i'd appreciate your feedback!

I think you should just go for it. there are plenty of size 18 riders out there. If you love it don't let yopurself be put off by what you think might be a problem but isn't really. Also if you really think you should lose weight the riding may give you the incentive and a reward system to do it.
I am 11 stone and my weakness is biscuits but I find the more time I spend outside with my horses the less I eat:D
I am currently concerned because the weather has been so miserable here and because I work from home I am spending far too much time in the pantry:(
Good luck and happy riding.

If it would make you happy to ride, (and it sounds like you had fun on your trek) then you should go for it. Losing weight would make things easier but there are many riders bigger than you out there doing all kinds of riding including pleasure, competition and training. You will probably find that once you start riding you will have more inspiration to lose weight so I wouldn't dwell on it. Get back into it and enjoy yourself :)!

Go for it, Lell. There are plenty of riders out there who are your size (I'm one!), and plenty of horses well able to carry them. Just don't take any notice of the threads that suggest that riding is a sort of gymnastics, only for the slim and super-fit.

Go for it!

I was 13 stone when I started riding as an adult 18 months or so ago now. The riding school I was taking lessons at put me on suitable horses who could carry the weight. And then I got a share on a rather gorgeous cob who carried my weight. I've got a cob on loan now and I've recently shed a few stone - all that mucking out helped! (OK, so did Slimming World!!! LOL!).

So, go for it! :D

Heather

I agree-go gor it-I am a larger rider(18 and 5'8) but I have too lost a bit since getting my beastie-just make sure you get to ride horses with a bit of bone and you will be fine-funny I used to go on riding holidays when I was wealthy-ie before Bailey-and because I was generally the "big" girl of the group actually got to ride the nicer comfy cobby jobs and not the flighty bucky tb'b so there is an advantage-I agree with the other posts-dont assume riding is only for those that look good in jods-just stick to black or blue ones and enjoy!!!(mind you I am busy munching ryvitas as I have to wear cream ones for showing this summer!)..enjoy :D

Go for it!!!! Don't let anything put you off - there's plenty of horses to be ridden:D Do something mentally, physically & emotionally good for yourself - why hesitate?!
Plus - gaining muscle is a good thing. Your weight might not change dramatically number-wise (muscle weighs more than fat) but you'll be much fitter, stronger & healthier. What's wrong with that??!

Thanks everyone! Sometimes we just need a little encouragement hey? So can anyone recommend some flattering jodhpurs- a thicker material perhaps? I know i'd look awful in the thinner shinier ones. Thanx everyone. xLellx

Hi Lell, go for it! I think that the comfy jodphurs are Riders and Mountain Horse as the material is quite thick plus they seem to be cut for a bigger bum (which is always a good thing!).

Hi Lell, I can recommend the Equitech cord type pull on's. They are very comfortable and stretchy. I kow they come in black and dark blue but I am not sure if they do any other colours.

Go for it, as long as you enjoy the experience it is definately worth doing.

I definitely think the most slimming looks in jods (regardless of manufacturer) are dark colors, 2-way stretch fabric rather than 4-way stretch, and cords.

Get the jods, wear them with pride, and saddle up! Riding is great fun and good exercise. It most certainly isn't reserved only for the petite. Heck, there were once people who rode in full metal armor!

I am _so_ relieved to see this thread! At 13-14 st (dependant on whether its closer to my summer hol or christmas :) I've been debating whether to take up riding again for the past year or so. But after reading this I decided to have a ring round of my local schools and to my suprise several think 13/14st no problem at all!

So having been assured that my local school has horses capable up to 15.5st (although I'm sure I'll still feel guilty about the poor horse!) and seeing this thread as proof not everyone who rides is a featherweight - I've booked in for a beginners lesson tonight....WISH ME LUCK!

AjHainey. Go for it. There are plenty of horses out there perfectly capable of carrying weight. Enjoy it, I do. At first I crept into the stables, apologising saying I don't suppose..... and was pleased to be told -no problem we have several horses suitable, which one would you like to try. I haven't looked back since.

Good Luck

Go for it!

As long as the horse/pony and the rider are evenly matched I don't see why there should be problem.

If you start riding, you'll soon start losing some weight anyway! LOL

I'm 5 feet 9 inches tall and ride a 14.3hh Dales pony. He is very broad and they are bred to carry about 17 stones.

A heavy rider who rides in a light & well-balanced way is far lighter for a pony to carry than a lighter rider who has bad un-balanced technique.

Get back in the saddle and start enjoying your riding.

:D

You have to definatly go for it, we all want to hear how you get on too, your not along with size and as someone has already said a balanced rider is better than light weight.

It is the best thing that i have ever done, my story is simular to yours, i spent all my spare time at stables now and no one judges me.

Riding is fun so go for it. i will be disappointed in you if you don't start riding again LOL

Have fun

Lell, go for it. When we got Benny the pony 2 years 8 months ago and I started mucking out and walking behind on hacks I was a size 18. Even a 20 occasionally. When I got back on board myself 2 years ago I was size 16/18. I am now a size 14. I have not weighed 12 stone since I was 18 (remind me, when did I stop mucking out - yes, 18). I no longer have bad backs, the calceophyte in my neck has calmed down completley (no more amitryptilline!). I eat like an absolute horse and sleep like a baby. I manage stress SO much better, too.

I had to post a reply to this one as I'm going to get back in the saddle (26th of May - woohoo) but had previously stressed about being a 'Bap on Horseback' - last time I rode, everyone was so thin!

But if the horse and the rider are matched, as someone said, why worry? After all, taking up an outdoorsy, physical sport is one step in the right direction for my health. Right?

Lell / Tinkerbell / ajhainey and to all those who think they need to slim down before mounting ...

Congratulations !!! Getting back on a horse will be brilliant for your health. Improving posture, muscle tone, mental agility, loosing stress and boosting confidence - the list goes on for ever. The stables have something for everybody - remember they cater for big men so why not for 'weight-challenged' women ?

Also, what I've found is the excercise you get from sweeping the floor, mucking out and filling hay nets !!! I'd rather shovel poo than go to the gym any day (in fact I'm thinking of cancelling my £85/ month :eek: gym membership - that's a week's working livery at the stables, if I had my own horse).

heavy rider who rides in a light & well-balanced way is far lighter for a pony to carry than a lighter rider who has bad un-balanced technique.
can't get truer than that ...

Remember, padding does have it's benefits !

Keep us posted !

xPx

newrider.com