Time to rehome Mattie :-(

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
.. because things are tough for our business, and I just can't afford to keep two. I should probably have done this last year.

He is a lovely horse : 14 years old, a 15.2 ex-racer French Arab, beautiful, gentle and polite. He is very stiff in the hips and would not pass any kind of lameness test, but it gets neither worse nor better and is helped by being ridden - hacking out a couple of times a week is ideal for him. He is a delightful hack, calm and responsive, but he is extremely sensitive to his rider and once a year or so will remember he is an Arab racehorse, so he is not suitable for a novice. I picture a middle aged lady who has ridden for a long time but now wants a lovely gentle classy hack to amble about on.

He is a reserved, quiet horse, bottom of the pecking order, very good with others, easy to do (except that he finds it hard to stand on his stiffest leg for trimming and needs regular rests). He is barefoot, with good hard round Arab feet, but is no trouble to shoe.

His difficulties are that he will behave like an idiot if he is left alone, that he windsucks after hard food or if he is stressed, and that he can't be stabled. If he is stabled he gets very stressed, weaves and windsucks continually. The lady who brought him to the UK found him standing in a small, filthy box where he had apparently been for more than a week: he is too sensitive to forget. He has to live out (though he could live in a barn environment, with company and room to roam, and I am sure he would be fine in a yard where he could wander out of his stable - he is incredibly respectful of fences and boundaries of all kinds and would never dream of burglary).In winter he needs ad lib hay and a good rug to prevent rain scald. That's all - he has not needed the vet in 4 years., though he loves his chiropractor visits and presents his stiff hip for attention at once.

I have put out the word locally but am not sure what else to try. I thought of Horses4Homes - a friend suggests I leave it until March. Does anyone have any other ideas, or suggestions?

I am sad :(

I am sorry he is leaving you. This is not a good time for people to try horses - snow and wind upset the horses and wet schools make it hard to ride in them. As you know, I may well be looking (though he wouldnt do me because of him needing to live out and me needed something that can do school dressage) but looking for a horse to buy in mid winter 2 years ago has put me off. I would put him on the Face book Surrey Horse and Pony group, if you havent done so already. But I cant vouch for everyone on it. Watch out for dealers hoping to pick up cheap horses and sell them on.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Such a hard decision, but at least by deciding now you can do everything possible to ensure he goes to the right home.

Thanks for that @Skib - I know it is sensible to wait a little while. The person taking him will have to be bold because we have no school so s/he will have to come out on a hack with me!

I'm not familiar with the Facebook group, I will go and look for it now. Thanks again.

I'm sure there's a lovely home waiting for him out there. So sad but needs must.
Roxy came to me via the Everything Equine in Bucks, Berks, Essex, Cambs and the rest of the world FB group.

Hmm let me speak to OH as he may be interested, my horse lives out all year anyway.

OH has had his own and has ridden for 20yrs, looking for a easy hack - he has a soft spot for Arabs - OH is 11st, so not sure what ideal weight you have in mind for Mattie ?

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Am really sorry to read this Jane, he does sound like a lovely boy and I hope you find a lovely home for him.

@Ruskii he would be perfect, Mattie carried my 12.5 stone novice (but very balanced) husband easily. He has a lot of bone for an Arab and is very gracious and willing. PM me if you are interested - it would be my dream for him to go to someone on here!

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
newrider.com