Time for a drink?

minesadouble2

Oct 5, 2005
ringwood, hampshire.
Ok I'm just wondering if any of you have tea /coffee making facitilites at the yard?

One lady at mine rents a large barn and has a kettle and tea and coffee and when shes there we all like a nice warm drink on a cold day, but on the days shes not there we dont.

So,on the days of the tea/coffee drinking it takes us much longer to go out and sometimes turns into an excuse not to ride.

Without the drinking and gossiping that goes on we're much better at doing what we were there to do in the first place.

So, do any of you have an 'excuse' that sometimes prevents you going out?

ps the 'tea lady' is lovely and wouldnt mind if we made our own, its just we dont without her there.

Our field is situated about quarter/half a mile away from the main block of stables - we have some disused farm buildings which we use to store feed but the laird swtiched the electric off last year so no tea making facilities sadly!
I can think of lots of excuses not to ride though - the wind, rain, ice and snow are four big ones but I'm slowly overcoming the wind issue. Other jobs that I have to do are useful distractions as well - poo picking, horse willy cleaning, pig oiling legs, mane training all needs to be done at some point. Sometimes I'll just do some groundwork so at least we've had some 'work' time together if I'm not in the mood for a ride.

is it sad that i jsut actually giggle at the fact that the title of " time for a drink" is in the cafe area! oh dear.

we dont have a kettle down the yard, but its litterally 12 steps from the end of our drive to the yard gate (yeah ive counted, again oh dear.) so when ever the farrier is there it always seems to be me whos making him tea (milk, 2 sugars for his first cup, 1 sugar in his 2nd)

but as for excuses not to ride, as we live so close my excuse is always ill ride later, or ill just do this first ...

We have tea/coffee and microwave facilities.. don't often use them, but guess I'll start now it's getting colder:biggrin:

We have a full kitchen with an oven,hobs,microwave,kettle,WC etc

I just save my hot drinks for after ive ridden :biggrin:

I love having a hot choccy/latte after a ride, means he has time to cool off too :happy:

Yep we have a kettle with tea and coffee supplied by OH's parents :giggle:, I couldnt give poor LL a cold b-fast on a winters morning she would be calling the rspca and demanding a new mummy.

I have no electric at my Yard and used to take a flask.

Have now 'upgraded' and bought myself a little camping stove that
runs off of gas cannisters..........BEST THING I EVER BOUGHT

Kettle is never COLD when I am at the Yard and people stop in for
a cuppa/coffee because they KNOW that:bounce:

So sounds like most people have some way of having a warming drink. I'll now stop feeling guilty whilst I stop for a coffee before doing the ponies.:biggrin: Might even get a microwave, then I can be there all day and still get nothing done :bounce:

We do have a horrible old kettle. But no seating area as such, so in all honesty people don't bother, I tend to take a flask if I want anything.

we have a kettle microwave and a sofa,its nice to have a chat,time seems to fly and i think i have been up here all day and havent got much done.

We have a well equipped tea room, the FO built it for us and we all provided spare stuff like the fridge, microwave, kettle, table and chairs. There's a water heater that keeps it nice and warm in the winter. There's been many a discussion (gossip?) taken place in there when we should have been working.

On the subject of brews, here's a picture of me and a friend at a show that the oganiser put on their web site -
http://www.parklands-equestrian.co.uk/shows/

Yes we have a 'cafe' which includes the normal, sink, fridge, mircowave, table chairs and a coal fire which is amazing in the winter! And yes we normally have a good old natter lol.

We don't have any electricity so no kettle for us, our field however is located on a main A road and the farmer who rents our field has rented a bit of land by a road layby at the end of our field to the "Bacon Van".. So we have the ability to have a hot or cold drink whenever we fancy it, also any combination of fried breakfast in some kind of roll is possible and cake or chocolate.. And now it's open 7 days a week!

We try our best not to spend all our pennies down there but coffee after a ride is always good and the odd bacon sandwich. The overpowering smell of bacon, while they are doing the breakfast rush when you are mucking out on a morning is one I have learnt to resist! :giggle:

First yard we were on they had a drinks machine, but I never had the hot drinks as they tasted like burnt cardboard! lol.
Second yard had a lovely cafe which wasn't open when you really needed it!!! You weren't allowed to bring your own kettle either (health and safety apparently).
Now I have a kettle in our tack room and the gas cooker in the caravan and of course I can always sneak back to the house for a quick coffee if I want! What I'd reallylike for Christmas tho is a proper coffee / tea / chocolate machine like you see in places, one that would make frothy hot drinks! Somehow I don't think Santa will stretch to that tho......

newrider.com