Tildren Injections has anyone tried it and what did it cost?

rosieg

Oct 11, 2009
I have a really beautiful TB mare - just 8 - who has been diagnosed with advanced hock spavin, she is 1/10 lame most of the time. I bought her to show and we haven't got that far. Tried the steriod injections but after a couple of weeks no improvement. I think we may consider Tildren injections but just wanted to find out if anyone has tried them and what it might costs.
Sad times, the alternative, put her to foal I guess for the next 18 months, but I am not sure.
Thanks, Rosie

Mac had a Tildren infusion last June for arthritis in his hocks. He also had steroid and cortisone injections at the same time. Because he also had a problems with the suspensory ligaments and had surgery we still don't know for sure if the Tildren has worked. He swings one leg when he first comes out of the stable but after a few minutes walking he becomes straight. I believe steroids take a while to have any effect, possibly up to four weeks, but I could be a bit wrong on that. My vet charged £697 for the infusion on its own plus other things like catheter etc. The Tildren is administered via a drip so Mac had a day at the vets for all this.

It's disappointing when our hopes for our horses get dashed - Mac had just started doing elementary dressage when he became lame and had been placed 1st or 2nd every time and I'm hoping we'll be able to return to dressage eventually even if it's at a lower level. Finding the right treatment takes time and the treatment itself takes time and I found it was easy to get disheartened.

Don't know if I've been much help as I don't know anything about spavins. I hope you can find the right treatment and your horse can improve.

Thanks that is really helpful and knowing the cost is always a factor. I hope Mac pulls through for you too. Take care, rosie

Yes, after having the Tildren and before his operation on the ligaments he was doing light work, just short hacks in walk and trot and a little work in the school. Since the operation he has been on a 3 month recovery exercise plan which we're just over half way through. It's a bit different for us as having the two different things going on in the hocks needing different treatments we can't tell how each thing is progressing - with any luck it's both improving.

By the way, Tildren isn't always a permanent cure, sometimes it needs to be repeated periodically.

I only know of it for foot issues, and would WAY prefer barefoot, and I know it's less simple for lag issues, but I read a human orthopaedic surgeon saying she'd never use it on her horse. Said enough for me, I think you really have to read around. That's without the colic risk.

newrider.com