Tight through the tail.

tina1958

Dec 11, 2007
Kent England
My pony has always clamped her tail down (even as a foal). This makes her tight through her back as well.

Has anyone got any schooling suggestions to help get her to loosen up

My filly used to do this, what you need to do is some gentle tail movement exercises.

Stand near her tail and close to her body, as if you were going to brush her tail, make sure you let her know you are there by moving your hands around the area. Then you gently grasp the tail and move it up and down and then from side to side.

There will be resistance and she may clamp down even more to start with you have to work slowly and very gently and do not rush the movements.

Stop for a minute and then try again. You can repeat 5 times every other day to start with.

Eventually you want to actually move her tail gently in a circular motion clockwise and anticlockwise.

Gradually over time she will relax and feel more comfortable.

Lance clamped a bit, and I did some gentle tail stretching for a while. It got better but I still wasn't happy & asked the chiro to have a look when she came to see us. Turned out to be linked to tightness in his pelvis area ...

MMm I have just strarted the tail rotating exercise and she does'nt seem to mind at all. Has a sort of bemused look on her face when I am doing it. She is still very stiff but I think she will relax more with practice.

I might think about getting a physio or so thing to look at her but I don't really think she has any problems. She just seems to find it hard to relax.

I am going to do alot more flatwork schooling with her as well. She has only just started jumping and needs to round alot more over her fences. She is only jumping little two foot stuff

newrider.com