Thunderstorms tonight, do you rug?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
We're told to expect thunderstorms overnight and the next couple of days. Apparently some downpours may be torrential.

When this happens in the summer. do you rug? I am in two minds about it both because it will likely be very humid and also (I now this sounds daft) because I fear that the metal in the rug clips might attract lightning! I'll probably put one on Mattie because he is prone to rainscald, but I think I will leave Sid naked.

Interested in what you all do.

Looks like it'll be too warm for ale to need one, 16 degrees minimum round here is forecast. I think he will actually quite enjoy the rain when it comes. I say that now šŸ˜‚

Hogan won't be having a rug. He's remained toasty warm, even in the downpours we had a few weeks ago. Haven't seen him shiver yet!

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Mine have both got there fly rugs on. Havent looked at the forecast yet. Guess i better.

Umm looks like its going to miss us tonight, although its clouding up here now. Rain tomorrow but only for about 4 hours. Think I'll leave in fly rugs.
Friday looks wet all day and quite heavy so i might put rainsheets on Friday morning.

No.

Do they melt?
Robin thinks he does. He gets very upset if he dosnt have a rug on when there is a hint of rain (or whenever he feels he should have a rug). Galloping hysterically round is not ideal. That said the weather will miss us so not actually an issue.

• Wow
Reactions: Frances144
Nope not on your nelly šŸ˜Š theyā€™ll enjoy it, Niko might get a bit pissy because he has tickly skin but he can put himself in the stable if he wants.

Reactions: Huggy
Well Iā€™ll eat my words, arrived back tonight to Jess shivering and having a right tantrum over it, Iā€™d left her fly rug on (it was dry this morning) which of course held the wet, so put a rain sheet on her. Then get to the boys and Hank is a shivering wreck šŸ˜© heā€™d also had a fly rug on which I took off but no rain sheet to hand for him. Niko was chilly but slightly saved by my having to put his rain fly sheet on last night as heā€™d shredded his normal one. Dan (unrugged) was the only one none the worse for it. Frustrating given they all have shelters they could have gone in!

Reactions: Huggy
I've put a rainsheet on tonight. Luka came in sidewards this morning to try and keep his bum into the rain and was shaking all over. I left him in with some hay and a thermatex type rug to dry off and warm up then put him out late afternoon. If the field had decent shelter he probably wouldn't have got so cold and I may not have rugged tonight, but it's very exposed (the one tree is by the scary monsters the other side of the fence and he won't go near it) and the temperature has really dropped.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
For once our weather is better than England. We really could do with some rain as ground is rock solid.

It rained here from 7am till 6pm. Id left both boys in there fly rugs. Got them in at 7pm to ride. Both were fine but a bit wet. Both had clearly rolled and fly sheets were quite damp and minging so i decided to whip them both off and put there rainsheets on for tonight, just so they dont roll and get dirty for riding tomorrow.
I decided it was a perfect opportunity to shove both fly sheets through the washing machine. Billys was minging on the tail peice. I put my hand in a load of shit the other day when putting it back on him after a ride. So happy to give it a clean.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com