Thunder in the air?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I just went to the yard to sort Poppy out and thought I'd have a quick ride - tacked her up but she was going nuts when I led her out to the field, jumping around and snorting. Not like her at all. Last time she did that was when she bucked me off so I decided not to ride as she was clearly stressing about something. I think there's a thunderstorm coming! I've heard horses are meant to be able to detect them....Either that or I am a massive wuss, ha! I have tucked her up in her stable - she'll be alright if it starts thundering won't she? I do worry about the crazy stress bucket.

I had a horse do the same one night, so I turned him back out and within 5 mins the heavens opened, the thunder and lightening came and it was dark at 4pm... best to listen to them :happy:

I think that you need to know your horse and you are right that some do go nuts in thunder. It's the same with fireworks - some will be fine and others will go crazy.

Luckily my horse doesn't care about either - but he does find hot air balloons scarey and has a good snort at the ones which annoying fly over our arena every Wednesday evening!

It's still not thundery but feels really close and oppressive. I want it to thunder (a little bit) so I can be proved right! A bit of rain would be nice for the garden/paddock too....

Better safe than sorry. I never ride if I suspect thunder and lightening. One of my Great Uncles was actually killed in a field with a horse by lightening.

We have been forecast thunder here but so far all is quiet.

We have had a sprinkling of rain by the look of it in the night - but only a sprinkling. Massively humid this morning, just finished poo picking and was hot as anything.

My friends mare gets skitty after thunder storms.

We had a wild storm around 4.30 and it's been on and off raining/rumbling since.

Hope it clears for this afternoon as I have the farrier for Jack and Joe!!! :unsure:

We had the most tremendous thunder lightning and downpour earlier in the week.

It was utterly black sky, with amazing lightning and thunder, plus coming down stair rods - I had just got the gang in when the heavens opened. Buddy was scared of the rain....watching it run over the gutters as the down pipes couldn't cope, the yard was under inches of water, up to 8 inches deep and yes this is how you find out your willies are letting in again.....

Ladies please!;) I did notice this but I am far too well bred to comment on the faux pas!:bounce:

Me too. I laughed my arse off though (she says in a ladylike manner.)

Oh come on, we all have problems with willies letting us down...don't we? :giggle:

newrider.com