Thumbs on top

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
I have always had a problem with keeping my thumbs facing forwards, but over the last couple of years its gotton worse - I remember every so often, but as Im concentrating so much on her (if I miss a few seconds thinking, she knows it!) I forget about my hands... are there any good training tips for re-aquiring this habit? Its driving me potty:/

(PS Just started having once a month lessons, but cant afford more than that, and RI was happy with my position, and said I was well balanced especially as on a small pony)

Just can't do it and doubt I ever will.
Might manage on a prefectly behaved beast but the minute I need to stop them muching or galumpin off with me they revert back to their sideways position.:frown:

I have this one too - my last RI used to keep saying "Linda, your pram-pushing days are over". Holding a stick between your hands with thumbs on top is supposed to help, but I find the only thing is to keep reminding yourself. Like sitting up and breathing.

I rode for about 8 years with my hands flat, not bothering .
Then my life was transformed.
I had a lesson from another local RI and I was riding her horse, and she told me to turn my wrists and put my thumbs on top - she didnt want her horse ridden any other way, it wasnt kind to the horse.
Then she explained to me the reason for putting thumbs on top - the difference it makes to flexibility of the arms / reins and the sensitivity of the contact and feel between the hands of the rider and the mouth of the horse. And to the line of the rein between the horses mouth and the rider.

I cant remember the details - we need eml or someone to set them out, but I must have been totally convinced, because that one lesson made a profound impression on me and almost instantly I began to ride any horse with my thumbs on top on any horse - just to be kind to the horse.

I recently resumed hacking from a local RS - after a break due to illness and then sharing elsewhere - I noticed how my riding had changed since I was last there, in particular that my thumbs were now always on top. It isnt a duty, it is something I have done as a courtesy to the horses I ride, like when you shake hands with another person, there is something instinctive and well meaning about that contact too.

I cant really explain, but after a year or so of riding like that, it seems comfortable and natural - the only times I think about it particularlty is when I am asking for more collection or in canter. With your hands perpendicular with the thumbs on top, closing your fingers on the rein or opening them has a lovely effect on the movement.

Only I didnt learn or change my ways because it was the correct or proper way to ride - but out of politeness to the horse.

Yes LA I Pram push :/

Im not sure how much of a difference it makes to the sensitivity through the rein, as its only pronation of the forearm as my elbow remains bent. I think I do it because (thins is going to sound awful) but I can get a better grip in this position - my arms get hauled out their sockets it thumbs are on top, but palms down prevents this and I can "hold her" better (we are intensivly working on her accepting the bit and contact as we speak I hasten to add! She is starting to soften really nicely and is now not nappy in the school and much better out hacking too :dance:)

Yes LA I Pram push :/

Im not sure how much of a difference it makes to the sensitivity through the rein, as its only pronation of the forearm as my elbow remains bent. I think I do it because (thins is going to sound awful) but I can get a better grip in this position - my arms get hauled out their sockets it thumbs are on top, but palms down prevents this and I can "hold her" better (we are intensivly working on her accepting the bit and contact as we speak I hasten to add! She is starting to soften really nicely and is now not nappy in the school and much better out hacking too :dance:)

Me too!!!:wavespin:

My experience of a strong horse is that this isnt so.
If it had been a problem I would surely have reverted to my old ways?

One has a good grip to pull back one rein with one's thumbs on top. When one pulls a rope in a tug of war one has one's thumbs on top. And more option to pull the rein right or left to turn the horse's shoulder.

Having ones kuckles on top makes it easier to hold onto the reins for balance - sure - but doing that takes weight off one's seat so one is worse off (less secure in the saddle) in the end?

Last edited:
Don;t have your thumbs facing forwards, for your thumbs to face forwards your wrists will be bent out the way. You want the back of your wrist and hand to be a gentle unbroken curve so your thumbs face in a bit and are on top or maybe 11 o clock and 1 o clock.....if you see what I mean, that way there will be no tension in your hand a wrist.

I practice whilst driving the car - thumbs up on the steering wheel lol. I aren't too bad at remembering it these days when actually riding, to be honest, atm with just being able to walk and not do a lot more with Storm, I am spending a lot of time concentrating on position, hands etc which is nice as normally I don't get chance. Perhaps if you set aside a portion of schooling sessions and devote some "thinking" about position time it will become second nature eventually?

IN this photo I was utterly out of control on a 50 mile endurance ride, I feel I have more power in my hands and arms thumbs on top and slightly curved in that any other way.

I remember that photo being taken and thinking I wish I had an iota of brakes!
stowstraussendurance.jpg

I possibly have mine a little more rounded than that wally, but without a photo Im not sure... I will go and have a look.

Skib - I wouldnt choose thumbs on top for a tug of war :giggle: :D yes they would point forwards, but palms to the sky

I found once I got rope reins, my thumbs almost automatically were facing up - think the rubber reins must have been uncomfortable like that.

But it is mega easy to get into pram mode - did it for years!

Get a friend to hold the reins while you have the other end. If they put thumbs on top they uncross the bones in the lower arm and gain suppleness. If you move your end of the reins like horse walking or cantering their hands and arms will move with you.

Now repeat with 'pram hands' to see how little ability they have to keep an even contact!!

Where do they gain suppleness eml?

Oh is laughing at me for waving my arms about on the sofa :giggle:

Perhaps the lack of suppleness is why I can "hold her" better then in that position.

I also don't find carrying a stick helps the situation - how in earth can you get thumbs on top when carrying a stick? I never turned palms down when I was at the rs unless I had a stick in that hand

If you have pram pushing hands you lose the natural shock absorbing movement in your fngers, hand, wrist elbow and shoulder, it's a chain reaction to the core of your body as eml says.

Thank you eml and Wally -
I think part of the reason that thumbs on top is softer to you and the horse is that to use pram hands involves rotating the forearms so the two bones there cross over each other.
If you let both your arms drop by your sides, they hang with thumbs forward. If you lift your hands forward from that relaxed postion, your thumbs will be on top - and you havent contracted any of the muscles in the lower arm.

I havent noticeed it making a difference to the whip - but one would expect the whip to hang close to your leg and to the horse -

There is a whole other question about how high and how wide apart your hands should be? With your thumbs on top, you cant grab hold of the mane or grab strap or saddle. But you can rest your hands on the shoulders of the horse for stability.

In an emergency I do grab for the saddle - bring my hands right to the centre in a big spook or spin, and I feel that at that point my knuckles are on top - and my happy experience from when this last happened is that bringing your hands central in the wrong position, makes you sit up straight and keeps your head central over the horse which we are taught by RI is the secret to not falling off.

I have mastered riding a horse that is running away with me - but I have not yet managed to ride correctly through a spook or spin. Self preservation kicks in. And maybe that is why we all tend to ride with knuckles on top - unless we take a definite decision to do otherwise? Because hands in that position are ready to hang on for dear life, not to the reins but to the mane or the saddle?

There must be a reason?

Last edited:
I am not pram pushing but more 10 and 2 o'clock than 11 and 1 o'clock.
I can ride in the school with slightly better position though.
Mind you, I ride one handed a lot while hacking.

I don't have enough pony to put hands on neck or shoulders :giggle:

I think it is probably lazyness on my part, it requires more strength to have thumbs on top than sideways as my hands are so used to typing etc so the muscles for that are more developed, added to the fact I can brace better when she sticks her nose up and opens the mouth! Those issues are nearly gone now though as we are having an RI out, and schooling better, so I need to loose this habit!

EllieMaeII024.jpg

freeze2.jpg

freeze1.jpg

free5.jpg

I cant see the pictures as on mobile, but they were the most recent (last summer!) ones I could find and looked like you might be able to see the hands in them

Try putting your thumb on the top of your whip rather than the way you have it. You will have more control over it.

newrider.com