Thoughts please (long as usual lol)

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
So a brief explanation so this makes some sort of sense lol

I have a very painful foot condition that has been really bad and getting worse recently.I have taken to cycling whenever I can simply as it's now so painful to walk.

I am managing at home and at work with help of others and very understanding boss and colleagues,and do have some day's that are better than others when I can do a bit more,go out with family etc.I will also admit that some day's I am a stubborn cow and do stuff anyway regardless of whether I should or not and even if it kills me pain wise to do so:redface:

However I am having major issues horse wise.I cannot do anything with Marb and he has not left the field now for about a month.I can't ride him out as he's not at the stage of hacking completely alone yet (well not with me anyway,probably be ok with someone braver!!),and also even if he could do it I could not as the postion necessary to hold ones feet in for riding is one that my ligaments scream in protest at,and the pain from getting off is enough to make me want to pass out (and I have quite a high pain threshold believe it or not!!),so that's a non starter.

I usually long rein and lead out loads,and then ride if and when help available.This keeps him ticking over weight and fitness wise,and continues his education and exposure to things.I cannot do any of those things now and am completely stuck as to what to do with him:unsure:

I CAN lunge when ground conditions are ok,and fully intend to do this.Again though due to my own limitations this might not happen as much as I want and sessions will be short as I cannot stand for long periods.

I have already arranged hopefully for him to go on working livery from september.Before anyone is horrified don't panic it's not that kind of working livery!! It's at a VERY good and reputable equestrian college near to me,where he would only be handled and ridden by already established and competant people completing their degrees,and would be visited by me on a regular basis and come home for most of the school holidays.He is not going to be bounced around on by all and sundry at a riding school!! There is no way I would consider that for him and quite frankly no way they would want him lol
It's a brilliant opportunity that I would be an idiot to pass up.He will get the kind of education I could never afford,and an excellent level of care,and I can still visit and ride and have him home for the holidays,everyones a winner if it pans out.

Anyway that aside,he won't go until september,so what to do until then?? He needs to be doing something,not just to stop him going backwards in his mind but also for his weight control.I have brilliant grazing and only him to eat it,you can imagine the repercussions on his waistline:banghead:

I am going to be having my injections in my feet soon,so that will help with the pain,BUT I have had these injections before and the reason it still came back is that basically the only real cure is rest and management,so this time round I am quite determined to have a plan that means I give myself a good shot at getting rid of it for at least a while even if not for good.
This plan though cannot and does not involve walking miles each week with a horse or riding.As much as I am tempted and desperate to enjoy my horsey time again,I am adamant that I am NOT going to live with this condition for the rest of my life,and if that means several months of gentle stretching exercise,limited walking on good ground wearing appropriate footwear and resting as much as I can then that is what I am going to do.

I have been very blase about my feet up until quite recently because it had never totally debilitated me and the pattern was that it came and went,so I just did what I could like the injections and ignored it where necessary and carried on,typical ostrich fashion TBH.
These last few weeks though have brought me down a peg or two I will admit.I have never had it this bad or this constantly,and the fact that what was my 'good' foot has now become worse than my bad one ever was has really worried me.I have also now developed problems in my lower leg which is probably tendon issues due to my dreadful way of walking to ease the pain is just the icing on the cake.

Anyway before this turns into a novel lol,I am really just kind of stuck for ideas.I have toyed with loaning him out for the summer,but not sure if I could do it,and also not sure if anyone would want him?? He's green,young and does need an experienced and confident person to ride him.I don't mean that he needs a really brilliant rider BTW as I am certainly not that and I manage lol,but more that as he's spooky and worries due to age and lack of experience,he needs reassurance from his rider and to trust them to look after him if that makes sense??
I don't think he would appeal to anyone for loan purposes,plus it would definitely only be for the summer,am guessing that would put people off??

Other option is to try and find someone to come out and work with him here.Only issues with that are actually finding someone in the first place,having no facilities to work with him in like a school etc (do instructors,trainers and the like hack horses out if nothing else available??),and the fact it would only be probably once a week due to cost,or maybe twice if not too expensive.

Last option is to send him away for few weeks on schooling livery.Main problems with this are the cost and the fact that at the end of a few weeks I still have to have hime back and can't do anything with him,although at least he would have done something and be a little thinner and fitter!!

All suggestions welcome,just feel like am going around in circles here.

Double choc cookies of you got to the end of that and sorry for yet another of my dilemmas lol.Is always something with me and horses,I swear it's like being jinxed:cry:
I seriously hate getting older,feel like I am falling apart ever since I turned 30!!
On a positive note I haven't smoked for 3 weeks now:biggrin:

Ouch your foot condition sounds horrible and definitely if rest and relaxation are the prescribed cures, take it easy!

My first instinct on reading would be to get a sharer. I personally have shared in the past and would love a nice little project like Marb to get a bit of riding and ground work, and helping in his education. That way, you could have someone, say a student, who is going back to uni in September/October time anyway and will be finishing for summer soon. Or why not ask at the equestrian college for them to recommend someone who lives close and is obviously going to be pretty well qualified, or to pop up an ad for you?

Mel x

I too would think about a sharer, you may find someone fab who you would be happy to have a long term arrangement with.

Marb seems like a super pony from what you have posted, sure someone will bite your hand off.

You could always supervise for a while, deck chair, book and nice cold drink.

Hope your feet feel better after your injections, I was lucky only needed one jab and been fine ever since.

i think the key thing is for you to look after you and try to get completely better.

if you can get a sharer for a short period then that would be the best thing, or could you get him somewhere is at least on full livery i.e. you are not doing any work even if he is not being ridden?

That sounds really painful. :frown: I hope in a few moths time after your injections and such you'll be back to riding contain in no time!
It can be hard to find sharers, especially if it only till septemeber unless you could find a pony mad teenager to help. Trainers can come out and ride just in a feild, mams instructor taught her in one of our unused fields although now we have marked on an arena.
And, i now spend my nights looking for a hossy on summer loan, so I think you could find someone out there to loan you boy.
And for the schooling idea, it sounds good, then he'd have improved his education even before he goes to college.:giggle:

Well done for not smoking! :dance:

Thanks folks for the replies,and for taking the time to read my essay lol.

The sharer idea is something I have thought about,but dismissed quite quickly for various reaons,but is interesting that it seems to be everyone's first thought.

If I metnion a few of the reasons why I dismissed it perhaps you would all be good enough to give me your thoughts if it is still a possibility or if it's as I thought and not really going to happen.

Firstly Marb is lovely natured but is a green youngster who is not really at the stage he could be and ought to be ridden wise.Not his fault,more circumstances and my own inability to work him consistently.Now he can be an absolute dope on a rope to ride,but he can also be a spooky worried twit depending on his mood,weather,random leaf on the road,you get the picture:wink:
In his defence ever since he was backed all his ridden work he has been asked to do on his own,without another horse,and even at times without a person on the ground,so maybe many horses would also be a bit silly and worried having to do this,(and to be fair to him he never 'done' anything really bad,just leaps around and runs off for about 10 paces if he sees soimething he's not sure of,basically spooky and flighty!!).What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think it's so much that he's an idiot,rather than I don't have the correct facilites and conditions to bring him on,and as such he has been held back,but don't think that means he won't be ok with education and experience.
Think he will always be inclined to be highly strung and over react to things,so never going to be suitable for just anybody,but I do believe with enough experience and a bit of age on him he will be a great all rounder who is safe but will keep you on your toes!!

In view of this though,would any sharer be willing to work with him?? How will they actually ride him (can ride in the field when ground ok,but only small part of it and am guessing this will soon get boring??),I can't walk out with them obviously,but hacking out really is the only option for riding,this is why I have been struggling bringing him on anyway regardless of my foot issues.There is absolutely no option to go out with another horse,there are simply none nearby that are ridden around here.

Also that brings to mind the other reason I thought no one would be interested.I live in a very un-horsey area,I rent my own grazing and am on my own.I have no stable or shelter,and facilities are very basic to say the least!! Obviously I could be present when they turn up,but that would be about it,can't be much help at the mo (although that worries me as know I couldn't just watch someone struggling with something and would end up doing it myself and suffering the consequences!!),and really I would want someone who could lighten the load and do things without me there.Would anyone be willing to do this?? Would they be happy to be expected to be riding a green horse totally on their own and with no one to help or even just be company to them??
I kind of feel it would be a bit unfair to ask them,and also feel quite strongly a young person would be out of the question for this reason and the implications from a liability/safety POV??

I should also point out that I tried to get a sharer for my fell pony,who was foot perfect ridden wise,and was the nearest to bombproof it is possible to get I suspect.I had no luck whatsoever,and the couple people who did get as far as ringing me more or less said it was due to the lack of company and facilities,and the type of hacking I have.Hacking is poor I will admit,have to go through busy village centre (inc double decker buses,one way road systems and lot's of ignorant drivers as not used to seeing horses!!) and main roads to get anywhere,and even after that it's not great,just lanes and most of them are used as rat runs for town so still quite busy and stressful.Have to go 4-5 miles to get on quiet roads and any off road riding.One of them felt they didn't have the confidence themselves to navigate my hacking and that was on a bombproof neddy,so is it reasonable to expect anyone to do it on a green youngster??
As a point of interest Marb is great with traffic (one of the binuses of keeping him and taking him out in a busy area lol),and I don't have any issues riding him on the main roads,but I wouldn't even attempt it alone as there are any number of other things to worry him,and the consequences of him having a moment under thos circumstances don't even bear thinking about,so I wouldn't blame anyone else for not wanting to either,in fact not sure I would even want them to if they were willing:unsure:

God this is turning onto another essay lol.

Finally there's the aspect of it only being for the summer.He is definitely going to go on the working livery if they will have him and he does well on the trial.I just feel this will be such a help to me,and allow me to rest and hopefully sort my foot issues out for good (can take anywhere from 6-18 months aparently so need to allow enough time),and allow him to get the education and access to facilities he needs to be what I *hope* he can be.He will be home for holidays,but really those times are for a well earned rest and for me to spend some time with him,I don't want to feel I have to 'share' him then.

So in view of all that,do you still think a sharer is a goer?? I just can't see what there is in it for anyone?? Lord knows I lose the will to live with trying to bring on a youngster under such rubbish conditions,and I don't have a choice,can't imagine anyone voluteering lol
If I could be some help and company I guess it might be more appealing,but basically I'm saying 'well there he is,carry on and do all the work for me under difficult conditions with no facilities and no help,and I'l just leave you to it':redface:

The only saving grace is I would be willing to pay someone a small amount (I say small as obviously if they're not qualified and not doing it as a job I don't expect to pay the going rate),does anyone think this would attract anyone enough to get over the downsides?? If any young person applied would it be legal and responsible to allow them to work with him?? (I'm only thinking that the money thing might attract younger people looking for some pocket money,although there are no young horsey people near me so thinking about it maybe that wouldn't happen anyway).

Apologies yet again for essay,I can't seem to say what I want without waffling,but greatly appreciate any thoughts:smile:

Hope your feet feel better after your injections, I was lucky only needed one jab and been fine ever since.

Sadly I have already had them once (both feet),and although they were great with the pain,it did come back after a few months.To be fair though I was warned it would if I didn't start making some changes to my lifestyle,and I didn't so guess it's my own fault.
It is actually worse now than it's ever been,and what was my good foot is now my bad one.I even have to sleep with my feet on a pillow some nights as they are so sore even to the touch that just resting them on a matress hurts (is a possibility have developed heel spurs I think it's called??).Think I have messed myself up quite badly this time TBH,and could kick myself for it (won't though because it will hurt:wink:),but what's done is done,hence why I am determined though that this time I am going to give it my best shot of getting better for good.I have promised myself that this lot of injections will be my last!!
It's such a silly thing to have,and if it was anywhere else on the body no doubt would grin and bear it much of the time,but as it's in the feet and basically need the feet to do anything,it's so frustrating and deblitating,and so hard to get rid of by rest etc as your feet are always in use and have your full body weight to cope with.They say 'no foot no horse',am starting to feel a bit like that myself!! Will shut up now and stop wallowing,but thanks for the positive thoughts and fingers crossed I have the same success as you this time around:smile:

i think the key thing is for you to look after you and try to get completely better.

full livery i.e. you are not doing any work even if he is not being ridden?

I totally agree,and I am determined to do so,as really can't cope with this coming and going all my life.Is such a silly condition,and nothing compared to the things some people have to cope with I know,but it limits me so much with what I can do and affects so much of my life that am truly fed up with it now.

I can't afford full livery sadly or would jump at it.I still have to pay the rent on my land is the thing,so even if I could stretch to the full livery costs,paying out two lots is not an option long term.I could possibly manage for few weeks and send him on schooling livery (very little difference in cost but at least would get something out of it),but TBH even that would be difficult and a waste of time maybe if he came back and still couldn't do anything with him?? Still not sure on that one,as also I don't want to unsettle him too much as he probably going away again in september.

I have considered grass livery just for the summer,but again it's the weight thing,he either would need severe restriction or exercise,both of which I am guessing would not be easy to do on that sort of livery.I also wouldn't be able to get there very often,and not sure many yards would go for that either??

Arghh why are horses so damn difficult lol,really do appreciate all the ideas,and please keep 'em coming,and apologies for appearing obstructive,am not trying to be it just is how it is sadly.

Well done for not smoking! :dance:

Meant to say thank you for that!! I am quite chuffed,although will admit am using tablets to help me give up so cheating a little I guess,but hey ho whatever works I say:wink::biggrin:

I feel so much better for it,and if my feet would allow would be loads more active (am quite enjoying the cycling and can even cycle up hill without feeling like am having a cardiac arrest!!),would thoroughly recommend anyone thinking of giving up goes and talks to their GP/nurse and asks about it,my only regret is that I wish I'd done it years ago!!

I know you say you're not in a horsey area but would it be worthwhile anyway advertising for someone to come in as a livery? You could offer cheap grazing in exchange for them helping with Marble and he'd be eating less as would likely play with the other horse who would also be helping to keep the grass down.

I know you say you're not in a horsey area but would it be worthwhile anyway advertising for someone to come in as a livery? You could offer cheap grazing in exchange for them helping with Marble and he'd be eating less as would likely play with the other horse who would also be helping to keep the grass down.

I'm going to sound really awkward again now lol,but no I can't do that either.

Several reasons but main ones are I don't think farmer would be happy with me sub letting/sharing,also I only actually have just over an acre,which although is still way to much for my good doer as grass is VERY good,possibly would not be enough to sustain two horses especially if we have bad weather and grass stops growing or get's trashed etc,I have had two on it before,and it was fine but they were both good doers and had similar needs.
Lastly my lad has had issues with other horses in the past (not tried him recently but that is why basically he has been kept on his own up to now),he would be ok with a horse of a certain type and nature,but I would hate to find out that the horse wasn't that type after it had moved in and was being bullied by him:redface:
Wouldn't be so bad if I had more room for them to avoid each other,but in a small paddock I just don't think it would be fair on the other horse to risk it.
He's never hurt another horse I hasten to add,and TBH I think he would be better now,but even so I am reluctant to go down that road with someone else's horse in case it didn't work out and had to let them down.

See you asked the question in just a couple of sentences,but I had to still write and essay to answer,what is wrong with me lol:redface:

Do you have to do anything with marb?

What's the worst that could happen by letting him have time in the field until he goes away?

Firstly and most importantly Devonlass - huge hugs and sympathy - I feel your pain and your frustration at limitations.:twins: Please, please do exactly as you are told to try and ensure that you get the best results possible after you have had the injections. Ignoring docs advice just isnt worth it - believe me!:redface:

Would it not be possible to just turn Marble away until September? Is there anyway you could manage that - i.e, just going up to check him, maybe a little grooming etc - or if you arent able to manage even basic care of him at the moment - could you enlist anyones help just in day to day care until September?

If he is going into an environment in a few months that will further his education by leaps and bounds - then just 3/4 months off wont be the end of the world for him?

Could you pay a small token payment for a keen teenager to come and help you out (this is you sitting back and losing control - very hard I know!:biggrin:) just with the day to day stuff - might be someone out there who would love to be a bit more hands on in a one to one with a horse and a knowledgable owner to teach them care of the horse?

Well done on the fags by the way - keep it up - personally just cant quite do it - one week I am no longer a smoker, next week I am!:banghead::redcarded:

Do you have to do anything with marb?

What's the worst that could happen by letting him have time in the field until he goes away?

Firstly and most importantly Devonlass - huge hugs and sympathy - I feel your pain and your frustration at limitations.:twins: Please, please do exactly as you are told to try and ensure that you get the best results possible after you have had the injections. Ignoring docs advice just isnt worth it - believe me!:redface:

Would it not be possible to just turn Marble away until September? Is there anyway you could manage that - i.e, just going up to check him, maybe a little grooming etc - or if you arent able to manage even basic care of him at the moment - could you enlist anyones help just in day to day care until September?

Well done on the fags by the way - keep it up - personally just cant quite do it - one week I am no longer a smoker, next week I am!:banghead::redcarded:

Ok first off thank you very much for the replies both of you,and secondly in answer to you C,I am now starting to get the jist that ignoring docs is not worth it so don't worry I intend to try my very best to do what they recommend,horse permitting of course,hence the post:wink:

In regards to the fags,have you tried the champix tabs?? That's how I have done it (I too would have no doubt been a smoking/non smoking person like you mention if not I suspect!!),I feel so much better fitness and breathing wise for not smoking,and can honestly say I barely give it a second thought now.Still have the odd moment whan I think ooh I'd like a cigarette now,but is very fleeting thought and never have a real uege to actually light one up.Sure would be so good for your health hun if you could manage to stop:smile:

Now onto Marb and the whole turning away,not doing anything with him thing.I can see exactly what you are getting at JC with the why,as am sure he wouldn't mind really,BUT he is considerably overweight,he may not look it,but he weighs around 500kg,which I'm sure you all will agree is ridiculous for a 14hh pony that is not of heavy breed or type.He carries it on his neck and shoulder/wither area,and although he doesn't appear to have a huge belly I couldn't feel ribs if I jumped up and down on him!!

I am currently restricting and muzzling him,and quite honestly it's not working all that well,I really don't feel I can limit or restrict him anymore without affecting his qulaity of life,especially when you consider he doesn't have as much of my company at the mo,so is pretty fed up and bored to start with.Basically he needs a combination of managed grazing and exercise,I have noticed that the weight comes off him really quickly when in regular work of some kind.

Also,not as important,but a consideration none the less.He is not going to get on so well at the college if he has from now until september off.He has already had a fair amount of time off due to various reasons,and I do feel he is really starting to go backward now.Not saying he will forget everything he even knew or anything that dramatic,but I do feel it will be a big challenge to ask him to go from nothing to 5 day's work a week,from a fitness POV if nothing else,and I would hate the college to get a bad impression of him (there is a trial period for first month or so) simply because I didn't give him the preperation he needed to cope with it.Might be making mountains out of molehills and college have already said they see no reason not to have him despite his lack of education so far,but just want to give him a fair chance as if it works out it will mean so much to both of us and out future together.

To answer bit of C's post I can manage day to day stuff,it hurts but I can manage,although have taken to cycling down there even though it's only 500 yds away,people where I live must think I'm so lazy lol.The problem is that I can't stay stood up doing things for long,so even if I'm there sometimes I'm just sat down in my shed,which probably isn't much fun for Marb,but I figure at least I'm there.OH helps me out with water and other manual stuff so can manage all that with a bit of juggling and leaving the stuff that doesn't really need doing attitude.
Obviously all that is no help with working him though,although I fully intend to do short bursts of lunging after jabs and pain is a little less.

Thanks again for the reply folks and apologies yet again for the waffle:redface:

Last edited:
Well done for the not smoking! You'll be fine when you get to 5 years like me.....hehehehehehehee (I won't put you off by saying I could still murder a fag after a lager or three.......!!!)
I echo Joys comment about do you have to do stuff with him? Appreciate the weight issue, have a similar situ when OH is ill and Joe puts the pounds on. He is old (Joe not OH!) and intermitently lame, so we have to be careful what we do with him. I have just had to resign myself to restricting his grazing and night nets - combined with not very much exercise. Appreciate you want the best weight wise for your pony - it is difficult. If only we could have a horse-walker in the back garden.....lol.
I guess I might go for the sharer option if I were you? Can you put ads in the local tack shops etc?

newrider.com