Thought you might like to see a video of how a Rocky Mountain show goes in the US

Jen_e_Jen

Jackson's Mama
Apr 7, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana. U.S.
This is video of the 2008 Blue Denim Charity Show, a Rocky Mountain Horse Show.
So you'll have to forgive my mothers camera skills, I think half the time she forgot she was taping,lol. She apparently erased the vid of me riding, but Brandie and I got a 1st and a 2nd!!!! :D:D She spooked at the gate, but the judge happened to be looking the other way, and we won! One end of the arena had sand that was probably a foot deep and she broke her gait thru it on the last class, but we still got 2nd! I was tickled pink! One is a video of Jack and I. If he hadn't been such a fidgety turd he'd have taken 1st, but I'm happy w/a 2nd!:rolleyes::p As I watched the video of Jack and I realized just how much I need to work on my showmanship skills, so be kind.:eek: The other is of Diamond, a friends horse, and I. She did great, but she ended in a conformation class full of studs, she was the only mare:eek:. She actually beat a silver dapple stallion to get 4th, so I'm not upset about it. I am sure we do things a little different, if you have any questions I'll try to answer!

so how do they judge- is it to a set standard or judge preferance?

it seems purely conformation rather than movement as well is that right, and is there separate classes judged on gait, or is that only done under saddle?

its completely different to over here- you spend 90% of the time stood, where as we spend 90% moving!

its very interesting.
are different breeds judged differently or is it similar format classes?

well done on your results :D

There is a set standard, and of course the judges preference may play a part, but it is whichever horse fits the standard the best.

Yes, in hand classes in this breed are purely on conformation. It'd be hard to get them to gait in hand, as collection has a big part in it. The gait is evaluated in the ridden classes, according to the action and their natural way of going.
Country Trail Pleasure is for the horse that has practically no action and very little collection is involved.

Trail Pleasure is for the horse w/slightly more action, breaking at the fetlock to lower cannon bone.

Classic Pleasure is when the horse breaks no higher then mid/upper cannon bone, and has a higher headset w/more collection.

Park Pleasure is the "ultimate" w/the horse breaking at the knee and above, and a very high head set.

In other breeds,(Quarter Horses, Arabs,etc...)the exhibitor must show the horses walk/trot.

Thanks! I was pretty happy w/it, still irritated that Jackson didn't behave better, but he still did all right. He's only two and quite the busy body,lol

newrider.com