Those who stable at night...

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
What do you rug at night compared to when they are out during the day?

I've always gone for a lower weight rug (or no rug) at night in his stable than the one he is out in during the day. My reasoning is that he is out of the elements so doesn't need quite so heavy a rug. However, having read a few posts on the wonderful H&H people seem to be putting on heavier rugs at night since the temp usually drops.

Thoughts? Am I doing it wrong?!

If our girls are stabled at night they don't wear rugs unless it drops to minus two and below. J was a tb and wore his medium weight stable rug when it went to freezing point. Neither of ours are clipped so am guessing if you have a clipped one then you might need a fleece or lightweight before it reaches minus temps.

we don't rug the boys over winter when they are in even if they have had a rainsheet on during the day for any reason more Charlie than Acorn trying to harden him off a bit this year - hes grown a proper winter coat this year - both unclipped natives no can't see the need - post lammi both have felt extreem temps more - years ago when Tess was clipped she would have either a fleece or if really cold a lightweight stable rug on top- when we had Josh he had a lightweight, medium weight or heavy - thin skinned TB - dependent on outside temps - he loved his rugs unlike the others we have now.

The rug used depends on the temp and the wind - if the wind is from the north then the barn is colder than if is is from the south.

I don't rug at all if the temp (including wind chill) is higher than minus 5 centigrade and only use a rain sheet outside if it is really heavy rain.

But then my mare is not clipped, has a fluffy long coat that is very water repellent.

Every horse and situation is different - you cannot generalise!

They can't move about to keep warm in their stable as they can in the field, so that is something to bear in mind when the temperature drops. Mine is in a lightweight turnout and currently a thick fleece stable rug - not sure exactly but prob a mediumweight. She has a trace clip.

Jack is unclipped and unrugged at night. He has a lovely thick coat and the stables are in a barn out of the wind and frost. Raf is clipped and wears a light to medium weight stable rug with no neck at night. If the weather turns really cold he might have to have his snuggy hood on and a fleece under his stable rug, but he didn't need to last year. However they are both completely different - Jack gets hot really easily and Raf gets cold really easily!

I wouldn't be thinking about heavier rugs just yet - it's going to get a lot colder than this!

They can't move around and they haven't usually got constant access to forage (their central heating) so I would go up weight at night, though generally they wear the same rugs day and night of they are rugged

newrider.com