Those on DIY

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Do you ever leave your horses earlier than usual? Ales out 24/7 so in spring,summer,autumn I don't worry, chuck him hay or give him a strip of grass and I know he'll be fine. He's checked when people go out and get their horses in, I just don't want to really rely on anyone to hay him in case they forget.

I'm usually at the yard between half 4 - half 6 pm depending on what time I finish work/ uni and then back at the yard half 6 in the morning.

On Thurs I'm down the yard first thing and then back at half 12 lunchtime on my way to uni. Today I gave him a large strip of new grass and couple of sections of hay in a net. But I worried he will of finished it early and have nothing left until morning. Especially as the weather worsens. He's in a field with a hedgerow but I think I'll increase the hay next time. Does anyone else have an early visit and worry about them?

We I was on DIY I only went to the yard once a day. There were some occasions I went twice, mostly if it was snowing, or if the weather was boiling hot and then forecast to deluge. I'd go and rug.
I strip grazed and always tried to make sure they had enough to last till the next day. Obviously during the winter I put hay out as well. As grass got less I would increase hay consumption. I varied what time i went to the yard. So i could go late one evening and early next morning so it might be only 9 hours. The third day I might not go till the evening so they might go 36 hours between me seeing them.
I am a firm believer that if you provide an adequate amount of pasture and can get the horse out for hack/exercise they are happy. Whilst there was others going to the yard to do there horses. I very rarely asked them to feed my horses. If something major was wrong I knew I would get a phone call or text. The worse times I worry are more spring and autumn, when I worry because of the temperature variation between day/night and hot/cold, and add in rain. I think it's more difficult to regulate rugging with only going once a day.

I am on Dly I am very lucky my yard feeds them in the morning and they will turn them out and bring them in from the field the yard supplies the haylage they will leave it outside the stable door . All I have to do is muck out and full up the water So I only go once a day.

During the summer I don't work at all as they have grass during the winter I am fine with going up twice a day to feed/hay and don't worry about the time that much as it does not really vary greatly.

But now Albi is in I worry all the time. Normally he is not in his stable until 8 in the evening Monday to Friday as I ride after work. But like today I am finishing at 4 so he will be in earlier as I am also not riding as the indoor school is in use and it's to dark to hack. so in a couple of hours earlier. I will panic that he does not have enough hay water etc. stupid really as I know he will be fine

Mine are on 95+% hay for at least 8 months of the year and I visit twice daily year round. If I know I'm going to be longer between visits I put more hay out in varying slow feed nets so they don't plough through it and get left with nothing, I've got it sussed now so 2 nets I fill once a day and the other gets done twice a day and they never run out. When they are on strip grazed grass I worry less as they always have something to pick at even if it's short and they have been on that patch for a while.

Mine is out all year round, but she's out with a herd.
My times are usually about the same but tomorrow for example I will be early.
Also my lessons are always early.
She's got friends, food and shelter. I like to think she likes see me as well, but who knows she still comes over everyday.

I always worry my two old girls will need extra hay - I rarely say goodnight early and if I do - well, then I end up going back out once my guests have left - or if we've been to someone elses place for dinner then I hay up late on. I never have a lie in for this reason! Doesn't matter the same for Zi as he free ranges, can have the pick of the paddocks plus a net to nibble on if desired.

Do you ever leave your horses earlier than usual? Ales out 24/7 so in spring,summer,autumn I don't worry, chuck him hay or give him a strip of grass and I know he'll be fine. He's checked when people go out and get their horses in, I just don't want to really rely on anyone to hay him in case they forget.

I'm usually at the yard between half 4 - half 6 pm depending on what time I finish work/ uni and then back at the yard half 6 in the morning.

On Thurs I'm down the yard first thing and then back at half 12 lunchtime on my way to uni. Today I gave him a large strip of new grass and couple of sections of hay in a net. But I worried he will of finished it early and have nothing left until morning. Especially as the weather worsens. He's in a field with a hedgerow but I think I'll increase the hay next time. Does anyone else have an early visit and worry about them?
Can you put a big bin in the field so he has an ample supply. I was thinking a blue industrial barrel with holes in the bottom for drainage, or similar. Ours are out 24/7 with big bale hay in a big net in a ring feeder.

newrider.com