Those of you who have started a horse doing xc

Hermit

Dec 10, 2008
How do I get my 7 yo tbx doing xc?

He's only done a little jumping and tends to get rather excited/spooky.

I'm good at schooling/hacking (he's well mannered but very bold) but nervous jumping so should I find someone more confident to take him round a course? If so, do I ask another rider (I'm worried about putting anyone at risk of injury) or find someone professional?

Please could someone advise me how on earth to get him started. I've had him since he was 4 and at this rate he'll be 25 before he does any xc!

If you are nervous then find an experienced rider to school him over XC fences. Be very careful who you pic, the local expert is often rarely that. ;)

If some one agrees to taking him xc schooling then you are not putting them at risk, it is their choice :D

PS Where are you based?

If you are nervous then find an experienced rider to school him over XC fences. Be very careful who you pic, the local expert is often rarely that. ;)

If some one agrees to taking him xc schooling then you are not putting them at risk, it is their choice :D

PS Where are you based?

Agree with this. However I took my ex-showjumper XC for the first time but it helps that he is a big bold horse and luckily he took it all in his stride. :rolleyes::D

I would not take him XC schooling from this position. The whole XC thing is a partnership and you have to develop it together. I would want to take him out 'hacking' for as long as it takes before going XC.

SO, for example, I'd like him to have a lot of hours out with just one other horse, including galloping in open fields. I'd like him to be able to go behind or in front of the other horse at all paces. I'd like him to be overtaken by the other horse at all paces, and I'd like the other horse to overtake him with neither of them taking any notice. Next up, all the jumps and things you can find out on trails - logs, coops, etc. That's where the bulk of our training gets done. It's saying to the horse on a daily basis 'ok, you may not know what's coming up, but I do, and it's safe'.

Next step for me is to go out hunting - although I realise this is not pleasant or feasible for many people. There's nothing like galloping with a herd to get the silly stuff blown away.

And then, if he's solid in an arena a level above your XC height, and out competing at that height in arena jumping - then I'd be looking to take him XC. At the moment, if he's getting excited/spooky at any old jumping, I'd work on that. I think you can rush ahead too much with XC, and get in a wreck which is no good for anyone's confidence. Stick with those basics til you've got them ironed out.

I'm southwest. So how do you find an experienced rider who isn't the local rubbish expert?

newrider.com