Those Foot Rests Called Stirrups, And Boot Shopping

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
One thing and another I have bought these. I can't compare to the Sprenger as I haven't tried them, does anyone know a comparison?

First impression is they are weighty! Noticeably so just picking up the saddle.
Anyway lunged briefly as I haven't had ss stirrups for ten years, they sure looked weird.

Riding was interesting, her first reaction was to do a slow motion back up. They obviously altered my leg position to the point she thought I was wanting a back up.
My position looked better apparently and once we got going I liked them though need to sort out my length/boots. Mine has a worn out underneath, so what's your preference long or short and what.:D
Managed to canter a circle and I felt her bending around my inside leg which I haven't felt until now.

They are the Cottage craft anyone use these?

Attachments

• IMG_20150802_163919.jpg
    IMG_20150802_163919.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 31
I have used this type of stirrup for many years now as I find that the slight "give" in them stops me getting knee pain. I think mine are Derby House's own.

I love my Sprengers, I must admit. I'm young & don't have any physical issues, but could feel the difference when I rode my friends horse!

Sprenger bow balance are gorgeous! I haven't tried any other flex style that look normal. I do have a trail techs at the moment,they have a rubber spring type thing in the top,only stirrup that has given me.no knee pain at all while riding but they are weird and have alot of spring.
I prefer short boots and chaps, just personal preference. Love my ariat riding trainers and half chaps,light,cool,comfy and allow me to flex my ankles which I need for my knee.

Reactions: newforest
My first pair were the same as yours NF and I loved them, hubby bought me the sprengers when I lost one of the originals out hacking and I also love them, won't ride in anything else now but would happily have a pair of the cheaper ones again if my sprengers ever die.
They were really nice to ride in especially if like me you have dodgy joints.

Oh and I only ever ride in long boots, had a pair of short boots but gave them away years ago, just couldn't get on with them.

I have long boots which I will try tomorrow.
I have neck, back, hip issues.

I would like to get some trainer types to ride in, but that means replacement of my gaiters as they are slim fitting. Tried over my walking boots no go.

I prefer long boots now, used to always swap to short jodhpur boots and chaps in summer but last time I did a long ride in those my ankles got really tired so I stick to the long ones now.

I have never tried those irons as I don't have any particular pain issues (yet) but was interested. I'm glad you mentioned that they are heavy because that's certainly something I would have to think about if I was considering buying some.

I have the Sprenger offset eye safety stirrups; they are bendy. I ride in long boots and I love my Sprengers, I really notice when I ride in ordinary stirrups for whatever reason. But people who aren't used to them don't like them.

ETA but my goodness they are heavy!

Reactions: newforest
I used to only ride in long MH boots. But, this summer (before she went lame again) I had started just hopping on in short jod boots and skinny jeans, no half chaps even. What a revelation!lol talk about feeling cool and also such good contact / feel of her. I will no doubt go back to my long boots in winter tho. But it's been nice for a change. Never used sprengers. Always had MH SC3 stirrups for last eight years.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Well took her new stirrups out for a hack. She came to ;)

The change in feel is pretty dramatic. If I can feel the change I know the cob is going to notice bigtime because she is so sensitive to weight change.
It's noticeable to someone watch me ride that I have changed something.
It could just be that as much as I love my current stirrups after ten years we have outgrown them. They also flex slightly so I knew it wouldn't be that part I didn't like.

I played around quitting and repicking up. That's something you can't just do in my other, they turn in making getting them back almost impossible if you are moving.

Stupid question, are they left and right? Does the teeny bit of rubber sit to your inside. My friend said I can buy rubber treads, back in the day you could get black and oh wait, black!

What is the difference? I always assumed a stirrup was a stirrup was a stirrup? What am I missing?!

The difference is that they are bendy so work as shock absorbers. The idea is to lessen pressure on the rider's joints especially if you have problems like knee or hip pain. I think they're supposed to make it easier to get on but I don't have a clue how that would work.

I opted for them as they are flexible and would be similar to my current pair. I only mount on a block so can't comment on mounting.

I am hopeless at translating feel into words. I can't comment on how others feel when they ride but I wasn't expecting them to give me an overall feel of stillness. My weight felt as if it was being distributed from head to toe, as oppose to how I usually feel it. That's what she picked up instantly and I could tell it worried her a little.
So far I like them and I would like to keep. I can only see one downside to them but that's my what's the word, health issues.

I think the Sprengers flex four ways?

Not keeping, I miss the wide tread. I don't like my foot going through to need the heel stopping it. Don't feel safe in them, even with Swiss Clips on top.

newrider.com