This Requires A Lot Of Skill

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
2013-01-14140419-1.jpg

I don't actually know how i managed to do this like this. :redface:

You just can't get decent humans these days!

Indeed - much skillfullness!!!! Hehehehe, like one of those chinese puzzles where you can pull the rings apart somehow..............

Interesting. OH tied Ginger up the other day and manged to put rug on over the top of the lead rope and do it up as well. result was one lead rope under the rug...

I did throw rope over first but how i then did the above who knows.

I actually think she was willing to lead in like that.

Is it great how horses dont know you have done it wrong? She isnt critcising you? Not done it with the head collar recently. My problem is with saddle.

Should I start a new thread?

Please someone explain how to remove saddle and hang it over the stable half door without having it tangled up in the reins which are safely looped over one's arm left arm, and also still attached to the bit / horse.

Take the saddle off first?

Your right though Skib, she doesn't know i did it wrong. She just felt something on her head and said ok lets come in then.

She did much the same when my new pad ended up underneath, came into the centre for me to fix then went off lunging again. She is in those instances unconcerned.

I am taking the saddle off first.
I thought I had to have the reins safely looped over my arm while taking off the saddle? If the reins are not over my arm I am supposed to twist them up and fix in the throat lash? Or she might catch her foot in them?

I wondered if I get in a tangle with the reins over the saddle because I am left handed?
Similar mystery when removing boots - I was told off (safety) for removing bridle before boots.

I would have to dig out some brain cells back to when i did my exams.

On returning to your stable your reins are already tied through the throatlash. You partially put headcollar on to remove your bridle. If you have a martingale you would undo and redo up your girth. Then the headcollar is put on, you tie up your bridle. You remove your saddle and lay the girth over the top.

What i do recall was actually how long everything took doing it exactly the way the bhs laid it out.

Though someone with more knowledge than me will reply to this. Now i just put saddle on and then bridle with cob loose in the stable. I don't use a bridle often so its the halter and line. She is hoof tied so to speak, as in she doesn't move from where she is asked to stand. I have no tie rings in my stable, no one ties in the stable on this yard bar one person.

eta if i do rug i do still fold them up and put on how i was taught rather than taking aim and throwing on.

Last edited:
:giggle: I do that sort of halter rope thing all the time...the other day I actually walked Dolly in and it wasnt until I got into the yard I realised that the rope wasn't actually hooked on to her headcollar...just trailing along between us! She happily plodded along beside me, I think she was probably sighing loudly and rolling her eyes!:redface:

I get the sigh with the look round. It means "of all the predators in all the world i get a dud"

I get the sigh with the look round. It means "of all the predators in all the world i get a dud"

Silver gives me that look... Rascal maximises the opportunity, grins and scarpers!

I tied him up today whilst I mucked out. I thought all was a little quite (he fidgets and stands in his bucket if he gets bored) so peered out the window. Suddenly found I had no pony where I left him.. ran out to find him, and he was merrily hiding amongst hay bales scoffing scraps from the floor. I thought he must have untied himself... but no the knot was entirley in tact as I had done it! It would see I must have just rested the rope on the tie upbit and not fastned it on :redcarded:

I do get a bit confused these days, and in my defence, it is quite complicated putting a headcollar on top of a flymask (flymask is a UV one cos Sham's photosensitive and she wears her headcollar in the field because there's a nasty witch sharing her field and she will often attack Sham so the headcollar means I can grab Sham and drag her out in a hurry).

So, the flymask is in place, the headcollar over nose ready to fasten up... except it wasn't, and the noseband dropped over her muzzle. Resourceful horse grabs the noseband as it falls past her mouth and held it there, all ready to be led to the field.

Leaving me to wonder who's really ahead of who on the timeline of evolution... a:)

I am always doing stuff like this.

My particular 'erk' is putting the bridle on without the reins getting tangled up in the head collar and lead rope.

I have to put the reins over the head first before I untie the headcollar and lead rope when tacking up. I then remove the head collar but have to feed it through the gap between the two reins to get it 'out of the way' so I can put the bridle on. Fiddly:frown:

I take my hat off to you New Forest. One is indeed supposed to have head collar and all that.
I at last asked RI to show me and am informed that with a horse you know well and are untacking without a head collar, it is not essential to keep the rein over your left arm at the precise moment you are lifting the saddle off the horse.
So ends many years of me tying myself in knots every time I untack.

That's a relief!

I do loop the reins over my left arm when I am untacking in my normal spot, ie standing next to the gate so I can leave the saddle on the gate and not have to carry it 150m back from the shelter! I think I sort of pull it onto my right arm and then deposit it on the gate while Ziggy hovers helpfully at rein's length. But I know I often get the numnah folded over the gate :smoke:

If I'm untacking in the shelter I just leave the reins where they are, even with the gate open. He won't go anywhere with his bridle on when he knows I am on hand and about to take it off!

I usually loosen the girth and take the bridle of first, leaving the reins round the neck and put head collar on, oh hell more fiddling with reins head collar/lead rope.

Once this is established and the bridle is off, I fling it on a hook then take the saddle off.

I have done my BHS exam but can't remember what or how I passed lol.

If I don't do a quick change over with the bridle and headcollar thing, Cherie knows and would immediately take full advantage and go find herself some grass. Evie will stand without anything on her head bless, such a good girl:smile:

Glad its not just me that gets all tangled in bits of rope and leather, I also get the big sigh and sideways look.

I managed to get the reins crossed under his chin the other day, nearly got on as well before I noticed. That would have been an iteresting hack, with the right rein working the left side and vice versa.

newrider.com