This happened to me today

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
So I decided to leave the horses out 24/7 last night. The monkeys got through the electric fencing as usual ( I had to take energiser home last night for repair, something had bitten through the wire) and I was greeted with these scenes
IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Cherie ate so much she is ill, as you can see from her expression.

I have had to cut her whole for lock off
IMG_0787.jpg

They are both de-sticky budded and back in their stables tonight. I am desperately looking for pastures new. I am so sick with fencing.

Last edited:
Oh dear - naughty ponies, and now no forelock either!!! I hate electric fencing, seemed to spend my life tightening it, cutting brambles off it that had grown overnight, fussing it wasn't on and electrocuting myself ........

Hope you find somewhere else too.

Oh my lord NF, and I thought I had problems lol. Did you manage to get it all out without chopping? I am so poorly atm I just chopped mine off and hope it will grow back in spring:eek: couldn't stand the idea of them being stuck with the prickles.

I got a solar electric fence unit earlier this year and it has been amazing. Never let me down and I haven't had any escapees since.

Can't believe all the stickies :mask: I would have just chopped too!

Yes i had a very good strong coffee first and set to work. I had to get photos first as i couldn't believe my eyes.
It took an hour but i did it as part of our bonding.

OMG! All those burrs to untangle, I think I would have got the scissors out to. But I have managed with lashings of baby oil to de burr long manes in the past...but it is long and tedious even so, not something to undertake if you are feeling a bit below par thats for sure.:frown:

My collie frequently get all the burrs stuck to her tail and under belly. The first time it happened we were unaware that she had been chewing them out of her tail. She was so ill where she swallowed them. It has long term damaged all the insides of her stomach and throat. I now cut regularly all her tail and the under belly, to prevent her eating any.

I feel bad cutting her at this time of year but its for the best. She does love to be out in the fields with me, charging around.

A tip for getting out burrs is to liberally spray with mane & tail conditioner, leave for 5 minutes to soak in & then start gently sliding the hair out. Still a bit time consuming, but easier than anything else I've tried, though it still might be a challange to deal with NF's unicorn :giggle:

Seriously though, I wouldn't leave them out at night if you know the electric fencing won't keep them in, I'd be far too worried about what could happen.

My horse is a bugger for this too. Rubbish pic but this is what I was greeted with once..... (he is a shire with a huge long mane)

Worst thing is having to chuck what ever clothes I am wearing away as there are tiny little prickly bits in all the fibres! All hedges now out of bounds with electric tape!

newrider.com