think we 've cracked it- no more wanting to tank off, Yay !

colettybetty

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
While Malachy is a safe and sane hack, he'd gotten into the habit of getting strong on grassy areas whilst out hacking locally, due to him having a couple of riders that I let ride him, galloping him at every chance. He would walk fine, but any cues for trot meant for him a canter and in the company of other horses, a race. In educating my other horse, Fox, I was determined that this wasn't acceptable as Malachy's excitment would transfer to her.
So OH and I spent weeks just walking on local hacks, and in between a little schooling for him to do lots of transtions. But what really seems to have made the difference has been taking them out to new areas in the trailer and going for long rides where he doesn't know how long we'll be out for and has no expectations of usual places to canter.
We've now found, we can go back to the old routes and he trots beautifully, canters or gallops when asked without trying to race other horses and doesn't get 'strong'. He's such a pleasure in company now, don't think I'll be having any riders to help exercise him during the week anymore, it did more harm than good.

newrider.com