Things that drive you mad but are actually a little silly

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I saw this on another forum and it really made me giggle on the thing that drive people mad.

Some of these I didn't even realise until someone else mentioned it:

Not sweeping out side your stable/feed area
Wheel barrosw and tools not put away
Hay nets with the knot at the end not at the neck when tied up (O don't do this but when I am hanging other peopels nets in the morning)
Dirty feed and water buckets
Dirty saddle clothes
Stuff piled up out side stables

Now I know there are loads more and even though I am VERY particular with my things/area/boys I do not judge others on what or how they keep theirs and I would never push my ways on others but I do have to remind myself that sometimes :)

Reactions: MrA and SeeingSpots
Oooh I have a few and they drive me mad.

- People dumping their muck at the front of the muck trailer (or even worse on the actual platform/ramp) and not bothering to shovel it up to the top
- People who are incapable of sweeping properly and either leave muck and debris all outside their stable or sweep it onto the drain to get rid of the water! Result is a blocked drain!!
- Letting your horse poo where the hell it likes - school, round pen, walker, washroom, outside my stable :mad: - and not cleaning it up!
- Leaving the menage/walker/round pen gates open
- General scruffy/messy behaviour.
- Dirty, unwashed bits with hard bits welded on. How can that be comfortable for your horse?

This list could be endless.....
Yes I am a very clean person by nature lol

Reactions: MrA
Heheee I would not do too well on a yard these days - I am a bit ocd about tidy things and stuff being clean and swept. I'd probably spend way too much time sweeping everyone elses mess up!! Lol
Thing is on a yard if you do start cleaning up behind folk they let you ! The result is less horse riding time!!!
I might not have the best looking yard in the world but I keep it as neat as possible. Given the wet windy conditions that isn't always easy but I do manage. OH doesn't know the half of it, even tho he is horsey he has "man logic" and cannot always understand why when I am not even riding a full hour can pass out there.....

Oooh I have a few and they drive me mad.

- People dumping their muck at the front of the muck trailer (or even worse on the actual platform/ramp) and not bothering to shovel it up to the top
- People who are incapable of sweeping properly and either leave muck and debris all outside their stable or sweep it onto the drain to get rid of the water! Result is a blocked drain!!
- Letting your horse poo where the hell it likes - school, round pen, walker, washroom, outside my stable :mad: - and not cleaning it up!
- Leaving the menage/walker/round pen gates open
- General scruffy/messy behaviour.
- Dirty, unwashed bits with hard bits welded on. How can that be comfortable for your horse?

This list could be endless.....
Yes I am a very clean person by nature lol

Our muck skips drive me mad. I clean all the toppled out bits every night back in to the skip and push it all to the back arggg

Reactions: SeeingSpots
People who don't pick up their doggies do do when they have been down the yard all day.

People who like to bring their horse in without a headcollar so said horse ends up in feed room or attacking me as I carry a haynet!

People who don't wear suitable wellies to get a horse in from a muddy field so they stand at the gate edge and let all the other horses out whilst trying to get theirs to come closer.

But of course I just smile and offer them a bag/head collar/ to get their horse for them.

It annoys me when it is dark on our yard and I am tacked up to ride and someone asks 'am I riding in the school tonight? ' Well, I'm not going hacking or XC in the dark am I? And because it is dark and I have put the school floodlights on, I think that it is pretty much safe to assume that I am riding in the school!

It also really annoys me when people say that Ben 'doesn't look very impressed' with something. He is a HORSE and his facial expressions do not generally indicate if he is impressed or not. Generally he looks pretty much half asleep most of the time- just because that is the way he looks. When we are stood waiting for something to start, or just having a rest, I don't need people to tell me he is not impressed because it doesn't make any sense.

It also annoys me when people make a mess of the haybarn. It really isn't that difficult to put hay into a haynet without throwing it everywhere. Oh I could go on and on....

It annoys me when it is dark on our yard and I am tacked up to ride and someone asks 'am I riding in the school tonight? ' Well, I'm not going hacking or XC in the dark am I? And because it is dark and I have put the school floodlights on, I think that it is pretty much safe to assume that I am riding in the school!

It also really annoys me when people say that Ben 'doesn't look very impressed' with something. He is a HORSE and his facial expressions do not generally indicate if he is impressed or not. Generally he looks pretty much half asleep most of the time- just because that is the way he looks. When we are stood waiting for something to start, or just having a rest, I don't need people to tell me he is not impressed because it doesn't make any sense.

It also annoys me when people make a mess of the haybarn. It really isn't that difficult to put hay into a haynet without throwing it everywhere. Oh I could go on and on....

I get that second one all the time with my share horse, you are right it's so annoying!

Not these days, I'm tidy at the yard, always have been, but life is way to short to let other people's ' differences ' bother me.
As long as they get on with their own stuff, don't mess up my bit of the yard or mess with my horse, live and let live.

The not sweeping thing is annoying - there was a lady at my old yard who NEVER swept up. It was just me and her in the barn and I'd leave the mess as long as I could stand to see if she'd tidy it, but she never did. In fact, she was one of those people who don't even 'see' mess - her tack was always filthy and if she borrowed anything of mine, it was never cleaned before it was returned. Lovely woman but naturally a bit of a, well, slob.

I am a bit like @Kite_Rider .

If you are on a yard it should be in the yard rules if you can or cannot do something. Other liveries trying to enforce their opinions and how things should or shouldn't be done gets ignored by me.

It's in our rules that you sweep up after you. In fact the owner spot checks the stables to see they are clean and tidy. Nothing is left outside, we have a tack room and legs.

@Ale anyone who bring a horse in completely loose would be asked to correct that or leave. I wouldn't be offering a headcollar unless a horse accidently gets out.
Letting mine out because you cannot be bothered to get yours properly wouldn't drive me mad because that person would thrown off! I am surprised this behaviour is even allowed on your yard!
Our rules state suitable footwear to be worn at all times.

Reactions: Cortrasna
If you are on a yard it should be in the yard rules if you can or cannot do something

It is on my yard!! It's the rules that you shovel the muck heap up and not just dump it on the platform, all gates must be closed after use and poo picked up. That's what annoys me the most, it's there to see yet people ignore it.

But even if it wasn't there, I'm sorry but I think if you use a facility - school, washroom etc - and your horse poos, you should have the decency to clean it up after you. It's not fair on another livery to not be able to hose down their horse because the wash room is filled with poo everywhere that people have left (yes this has happened and imagine if every horse owner left their poo in the school? It would quickly become a muck filled mess. It's common courtesy.

Letting mine out because you cannot be bothered to get yours properly wouldn't drive me mad because that person would thrown off! I am surprised this behaviour is even allowed on your yard

This surprises me too.

Reactions: newforest
Hmm.

I can't stand the yard being a mess or my area being a mess. I always clean up outside his stable and often the tack room and the old bits of hay when I am due a new bale.

People not picking up their dogs mess really pisses me off! Same for people not picking up there horses mess on the yard.
People who don't clean up the mess when the farriers has been. Can't stand that one. At the very least sweep it into a pile against a wall.

My top ones
  • Not going round a big round bale using the hay as it drops off
  • Not keeping said bale tidy
  • Not putting tack away tidy
  • Not washing girths regularly
  • Not cleaning feed buckets/water buckets/feedscoops/feed bins
  • Untidy feed areas
  • Manky beds
  • People who don't adequately look after their horses
  • Tying horses up outside my stable for farrier/clipping/grooming and not tidying up after

Well I get a discount on my livery to be the yard sweeper so the fact that YM offered me that deal when we moved back up there already tells you something about me!!! :p

I don't have a yard to sweep (it's all grass) but I loved to sweep it all tidy when I was on a yard that did :p raking grass doesn't give the same satisfaction :rolleyes:
I hate fields that aren't looked after, overgrazed, not poo picked, ragwort and other weeds left to take over :(
I get irritated by the hay net knot being at the end too, glad that ones not just me :p
When you share tools, a wheelbarrow left half full and parked
People who borrow things but don't put them back how they were ie clean and tidy/in their place.

There's good reason I love having my own place :D it's not perfect by a long shot, but I keep it as clean and organised as I can.

• Leaving a mess outside stables, piles of rugs, haynets etc.
  • Staff bringing my horses in then leaving the head collars on my rug box, floor, any where but the hooks that are outside my stables out of reach of the horses with all the other head collars on
  • Not cleaning muck up especially in the wash room
  • Having a feed rota for the weekends which means if it's not my turn I can't down before 8am as it means I'll end up feeding and haying everything and the person who's turn it was has got up early for nothing. This one really grates!!
  • The lights being that poor I have to take my own torch to muck out with even though its meant to be a 5* facility :rolleyes:
  • People not taking the straw in sections so there's a big wedge stuck at the bottom
  • People leaving rubbish on my tack box, empty cans, crisps packets, or their coats, hoodies, chaps.
  • One person who uses one of my stable doors as her saddle rack then looks at me with utter disdain when I bring mine in and ask her to move it as they'll knock it straight off.

Why can't you go down to see your own house before 8am. If it's not your turn to feed then don't feed.
Your yard would bug me as these horses are on full livery aren't they, so staff should do it. However suspect sometime has at some stage poked their nose and got involved and so now it's almost expected

Why can't you go down to see your own house before 8am. If it's not your turn to feed then don't feed.
Your yard would bug me as these horses are on full livery aren't they, so staff should do it. However suspect sometime has at some stage poked their nose and got involved and so now it's almost expected

There are a few full liveries and riding school horses yes. I can go down before 8am but that means I'd have to start feeding and haying everything which I CBA to do, it takes about half an hour, but I can't not do it unless I want a very shitty text and stern telling off from the YO. So I wait until 8am by which time it has to be done by the person on the rota. It's just the way they do things it won't change so there would be no point in me trying to, plus the YO is very intimidating! On a group livery message this week we were told to "put your names on the weekend feeding rota or I'll put them on for you"! Basically means the full liveries and riding school ponies get fed meaning she hasn't got to pay staff to be on the yard early or get up herself.

It is just one of the things that annoy me and after shitty facebook status and not been spoken to for a few days by YO after me and a few other liveries had a clinic off site with an instructor she doesn't like, I feel even more wary than I did before. Due to a few other things we're looking at another yard this weekend. Although the boys are happy so we're not in a rush to move.

Reactions: squidsin
newrider.com