They always know how to make you feel silly don't they ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
So I've been getting myself into a tizz about loading my horse before he went to the trainers. The last time he was loaded it was a trailer and he kicked up a stink about leaving the vets as he was getting loads of fuss and attention there and quite enjoyed it there Thank You Very Much.

In all preparation for going on the lorry (decided against a trailer) this time, I brought out carrots, apples, lunge whip and lunge tape, had them all there in the car ready to go if he started to play up. I woke up at at 6 and promptly got worse as the day went on thinking "He's not going to sodding well load - I know he won't."

Fast forward to collecting him from the field and waiting in the yard for the lorry arriving, and he's starting to look just a little edgy as I have my hat on and gloves, as I lead him out the yard gate my husband looks at me 'Do you want me to do it ?' I practically threw the lead rope at him. My nerves really were travelling down that lead rope. As soon as my husband took him, the horse let out a massive sigh and followed him like a lamb to the lorry.

And on he walks :mad: like he's being doing it all his life and what's the fuss about ?

The transporter even brought help as I warned him that he might be difficult :rolleyes: They all looked at me and said 'He was no bother then was he ? Good boy'

I make some comment of "Well he might arrive a sweaty mess as he's not a happy traveler usually'

1hr later off he walks cool as a cucumber wondering what the fuss is about.

I felt like a right fool :eek:

Oh dear :p But I think this may be quite a common occurrence for people who don't travel their horses regularly, because when they do it's likely to be for something important - vet, emergency, yard move - and this alone will increase your stress levels as you have more reason to worry that the horse won't load. Travelling is potentially one of the most demanding things we ask of our horses as there's so many things that could make it difficult or scary for them... they won't load willingly for someone they don't put their trust and confidence in, so it follows that if we are worried or hesitant we give them the feeling that there's something to be cautious or anxious about. At least now you know he'll be ok as long as you are confident!

One of our liveries is on a gap year in Oz and put her horse on loan with a friend. She's had him for 8 years, travelled him a lot and NEVER had a problem with loading - he practically loads himself, even in transport he's not been in before. But when they came to pick him up, and she tried to load him, he wouldn't go on. Planted his feet, and nothing she could do would move them. My boss offered to try and as soon as she took the rope and started walking, he marched right up the ramp. It was like he could tell his mum didn't really want him to go on, so he didn't either. They are so perceptive.

My horse Thyme was a brilliant loader. The only time she flatly refused to load was when her new owner came to pick her up. I think she knew I didn't really want her to go.

newrider.com