There should be a law

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
After hearing today that someone I know has bought a new horse, I have decided that there should be a law in place :(

That's three people I know (on the same yard, coincindentally) who have their horses in full work...at 2 years old.

They are all pretty incompetant too, it just really makes me despair :cry:

There should also be selling rules regarding tack and such stuff.

Only been to see two ponies so far and both have had ill fitting tack, one to the extent she couldnt canter on the lunge in it, let alone with me in poor thing. And the most uncomfy things Ive ever sat on too - made me understand why the "kids had lost interest" :giggle:

It's sad, but all you can do is try to educate people - tactfully! If you start making rules & laws then where does it end? And who says what's right & wrong? If you banned working 2yos you'd immediately close down most flat racing .....

Personally I'm not sure it would be D&T, but it's a big industry & realistically it just wouldn't happen.

of course it will never happen as there are too many vested interests in it, but it would stop quite so many broken down tbs coming out of racing with no future.

but then the majority of tbs coming out of racing have no future anyway, sound or not, due to over supply.

I think there should be a licence system in place, a bit like driving licenses, you get a provisional for learning to ride, and have to pass a test in order to own a horse...

I do wonder sometimes if people have any idea what they're doing.

I too know a horse that's 2 and in full work, I also know someone who is currently turning out in a stable rug!! And I daren't even comment on the number of horrendously fitting saddleds that I've seen over the years, it still makes me cringe thinking of the poor horses trying to move in them.

It's sad but mostly it's just lack of knowledge :(

I think there should be a licence system in place, a bit like driving licenses, you get a provisional for learning to ride, and have to pass a test in order to own a horse...

I know what you mean. Problem is, you could say that about a lot of things, like having kids. There are people not responsible in society having plenty of those! The same could be said about dogs. There's nothing to stop anyone buying a puppy or breeding them. Granted, horses are dangerous in the wrong hands but so are dogs, and dare I say, also are some of these ferel kids you see.

There are some novicey horse owners who are sensible, full of common sense and they take advice on board and actively ask for it. I've seen some lovely very novice horse owners with very happy well taken care of horses who aren't being ruined.

I have equally seen horses with owners who should know better too.

I do see what you mean though!

I just feel that it would be impossible to say you have to pass a test (let alone enforce it). There are so many different ways to keep a horse, who's to say what's right & wrong? There are already measures in place to deal with cruelty & neglect, I think it's best left at that.

For example I'm sure that some of you wouldn't like how Jim is kept - 3 hours turnout on a small patch with a quiet pony, ridden in the school most days, already rugged, always shod - but does that mean it's wrong? It suits him - he's happy, sound, cheerful in his work, always has company & I spend a lot of time with him (he's very people orientated). Would you say this makes me unfit to keep a horse?

newrider.com