The yard search continues

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
It is the wrong time of year to be looking! I do have a few options, but none are ideal/panning out;

7 acres to myself in the middle of the forest, very isolated and neighbouring property has had stuff go missing 4 or 5 times in the last year and has no water/power or even fences at this point :rolleyes: well it has posts and very old electric rope but that would need replacing.

2 acres which is at the neighbouring property to the above, but at least there is company in the next field and fences :p also no water/power/shelter.

There are also some fields the other end of town mostly fenced, no water/power and they are mostly way off the beaten track (but not enough so to keep the thieving bastards away) and the hacking is less accessible from there.

The one I want I can't find the owner of, of course, its 2 fields up from my current place, is totally over grown, fences are probably good round 75% and it did have power and water on in the past which I believe has just been 'turned off' and its about 3 acres. The mobile number I got off a neighbor for the owner is no longer his (it was a company phone and he doesn't work there any more) and no one seems to know quite where he lives :(

There is another paddock up from where I am but its only about 0.6 acre, no water/power but its fenced, too small for a long term option but might get me out of a pickle if I need it.

There is only 3 livery yards in the immediate area, 2 I know are full, the other's YO is slightly nuts to put it politely o_O 1 of the 2 full ones is where I used to be and they would help me out short term if push came to shove but I left because it didn't suit Jess there.

There is one other possible which would be great, a couple have 10 acres at their house in the forest, they have 2 horses and used to livery others but I know the chap has terminal cancer, a mutual friend is going to approach them for me, but I have no idea if they will be interested given all they have going on.

There are 2 other livery yards but both are over 30 mins away, both offer 24/7 herd turnout and have great facilities, my worry is other people, especially kids, going in with Jess if she is in one of her moods :( though I may contact them and see if they have a separate field they might rent for sole use.

There is another lady I need to go and see after Xmas, she has some fields she's not using and a friend used to livery with her and said its worth asking her but I don't like to just show up on her doorstep right before Xmas so am going to wait.

Ho Hum, I know what my Christmas holiday will be spent doing :cool:

Oh how unsettling for you. I do hope something comes out of the blue that suits you. Lots of yard finding vibes. So hard isn't it? I remember years ago when we desperately wanted to get off a yard (there weren't many suitable ones near us) and we just seemed to spend all weekends and all the time after work searching for potential places - either land with stables or land and house. We seemed to look forever! Anyway, it sounds like there are potentials - even with pitfalls, might be worth considering? And of course you'll have put word out on the local horsey grapevine too?

Yes word is on the grapevine, I'm not panicking yet as have emergency options and I've applied for a new job which is in the opposite direction to current one, so if I get that, it could open up more options of yards in reach :) It does feel like a pretty non-stop thing trying to think of other possible places and going hunting for unused grazing :rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes word is on the grapevine, I'm not panicking yet as have emergency options and I've applied for a new job which is in the opposite direction to current one, so if I get that, it could open up more options of yards in reach :) It does feel like a pretty non-stop thing trying to think of other possible places and going hunting for unused grazing :rolleyes:

Whoop!! Well done on applying for a new job!! Hope it pays off!
I am sure you will find something and if needs be there is always the livery option which isn't the best but as a short term measure its there :)

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
newrider.com