The wind today!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I got up the yard to find everything blowing around, always fun when a fair bit if stuff is stored outside under tarps. Both boys looked as though they'd have happily stayed in once they got partway to the field, but a few hours out won't hurt them and they can come in again tonight to get out of the now rather soggy field. Hopefully the wind will at least dry that out a bit!

I had arranged to ride with a friend this morning but we agreed not to. Neither horse needs to be ridden, and there's no fun in this.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
It’s breezy here but not awful, but the rain this morning was stair rods! I was really hoping to get Niko out for a walk today but I’m not sure it will happen now 😒

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Yeah it’s stopped here, but the field will now be waterlogged for 24 hours and I know the other 3 will tit about when I take him out as it’s been a while and I don’t want the field completely churned up.

It really isn't worth trying to ride in wind in my opinion, I mean, we do it to enjoy right? I know up here, it's a way of life, you either get used to it in winter or you don't ride regularly. For us it isn't a worry as I'm not riding Zi atm, however, I am working on doing stuff on the ground with him. Thing is, I don't believe that they ever really "get used" to it, not so as they aren't on red alert. Zi has lived on Orkney for 8 years and is calm and chilled mostly but even he gets the wind up his tail! Fortunately for the old girls where we came from was usually quite windy, so it wasn't a big shock. We've been enjoying a really calm patch - today is just lovely and I'm hoping to do a bit with him in hand again (getting his tack on so he gets used to the feel of it all over again!). I dream of one day winning the big numbers and having an indoor school (with a roof that doesn't rattle of course!). I know up here there's a communal indoor arena you can rent and that's very popular - I know why now, because there aren't that many good days in winter for safe riding.

It's been nice for the past few days not to have to use baler twine of an evening to tie everyone's feed buckets up! Zi hurls his all over the place as it is, he thinks wind is hilarious for extra chucking bucket power! So I thwart him by tying his night bucket to the fence hahahahaaa.

I was all set to ride today - 1st dry (ish) morning for a few days. Was so tired when I woke, and when I looked out it was indeed very windy, and the forecast said rain within the hour. So back to bed it was for me. Horrible and grey now, but the winds dropped slightly.

Reactions: Trewsers
New winter breeches lovely. Thank you @carthorse
I am a bit curious about the plastic dots on them. Being old, and busy with Christmas, I forgot to wash the new trousers before wearing them.
I ride in a very basic, plastic GP saddle with shiny knee flaps and an imitation suede seat. I was nervous mounting in case the plasticky dots caught on the saddle as I mounted but they didnt and while hacking I never gave the breeches a second thought even when we cantered.

So I dont know why I have been scared of riding breeches with those rubber dots on, which includes almost all of them these days.

@Skib they wouldn't be so popular if they were going to cause riders to get stuck, no-one wants that. In the past I've had a slight problem with gel knee patches that are very large solid pieces of silicon gel, but there are less of those around now and full seats are never done that way.

Not windy here today and a lovely sunny day so we went out for a nice long ride with his buddy. Forecast tomorrow is terrible tho.

they wouldn't be so popular if they were going to cause riders to get stuck
I am not sure I knew that about sticky seat riding breeches. I took the description too literally. My very first hack was in the snow and our saddler (no longer in existence) kitted me out with German winter riding breeches which I wore every winter till 2 years ago.
Resuming winter riding this year, I am too fat to get into them so bought these a size larger.
I have found Covid lockdown distastrous for my weight and exercise. But I had a really nice time this morning. When everything else in the world is so grim.

The wind wasn't too bad here - just a bit gusty - but it did pour down with rain. P did me very proud and did just get on with our ride like a pro (we have things we want to be fit for so training goes on where possible). A fast pro, but bossed it none the less 🐎👍

Glad you got on with the new jodhpurs Skib! Personally I'm not a huge fan of gel seats as I find after a couple of hours riding I can feel the uneven pressure of the gel bits and they chaffe slightly but think I'm just sensitive! They are fine for shorter hacks of about 2 hours or so and general schooling for me - I haven't got stuck to the saddle so to speak :)

I find after a couple of hours riding I can feel the uneven pressure of the gel
My hack is an hour and a quarter.
I went upstairs to examine mine and they do have gell patches all over the seat. But the gel patches are thin to finger touch and I did not feel them because these are winter trousers and lined with fleece which has not yet been washed or squashed down. I have in any case inherited a thick fleshy bottom which was the despair of my father when I was a young girl but which is ideal for riding, like a built in seat saver.
I dare say these may not be perfect winter trousers but they are a whole lot comfier than my old ones which are too small. Plus they are warm and waterproof and flexible. I do feel the horse through my seat as I ride because I learned so much from mark rashid, but I didnt notice being hampered by my new clothes. Which normally I might hate.
May be my mind was on other things. Bank holiday meant the whole place was crowded with children and dogs and people but the path magically cleared in places where we could have a short canter.
It is more than I can say really. Was feeling very low due to lock down and winter, and the sweet horse is just so obliging and cheerful. Well of course she isnt really. She was very stampy and didnt want to have her saddle on or go out at all. But once I was on her she seemed resigned and that is my treat done for a week.

My hack is an hour and a quarter.
I went upstairs to examine mine and they do have gell patches all over the seat. But the gel patches are thin to finger touch and I did not feel them because these are winter trousers and lined with fleece which has not yet been washed or squashed down. I have in any case inherited a thick fleshy bottom which was the despair of my father when I was a young girl but which is ideal for riding, like a built in seat saver.
I dare say these may not be perfect winter trousers but they are a whole lot comfier than my old ones which are too small. Plus they are warm and waterproof and flexible. I do feel the horse through my seat as I ride because I learned so much from mark rashid, but I didnt notice being hampered by my new clothes. Which normally I might hate.
May be my mind was on other things. Bank holiday meant the whole place was crowded with children and dogs and people but the path magically cleared in places where we could have a short canter.
It is more than I can say really. Was feeling very low due to lock down and winter, and the sweet horse is just so obliging and cheerful. Well of course she isnt really. She was very stampy and didnt want to have her saddle on or go out at all. But once I was on her she seemed resigned and that is my treat done for a week.
Another name drop of Mark Rashid ...we get it no need to include this info constantly.

Another name drop of Mark Rashid ...we get it no need to include this info constantly.

Welcome to a particular part of the forum! I often wonder what the people who's names are dropped would think of how they're used - I read some of Rashid's early books and in those he was very much there's no one right way and the horse will teach you what the horse wants if you have the sense to listen.

The weather has hit! No wind just very wet. Robin had a couple of hours out before starting crying and coming in!

Luka wasn't keen on going into the field today but he'd be furious if I brought him in early too - he wants me to make the weather better not alter his lifestyle. When I left he was tucked up against the hedge looking fed up.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com