The vet has undercharged me..

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Do I own up or keep quiet and hope they don't notice?

They came to scan ale and do his jabs, but haven't charged me for the jabs as far as I can see?

Is it terrible that I would keep quiet... My vets got so much money of me and my insurance last year that I think they'll be quite alright without the pennies for a jag! :confused: I'd probably keep quiet but feel quite guilty:rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
Or, they may not have put the charge for the jag on the bill in case you are claiming on your insurance. Your insurance won't cover the normal flu/tet jags so they might have left it out to avoid any issues with the claim. My vet put Rubic's jags on the insurance claim for some stupid letter and the insurance sent me a letter out saying they weren't covering part of my claim and I had a panic until I realised it was just the jag!

No I wouldn't own up, but I would keep some money in reserve because I am sure that the bill will evenutally come. When I had to have Bens guteral pouches flushed the forgot to charge me for one of the lab fees so I got a nice bill for £100 2 months later.

As Rubic says, the jabs will probably be charged for separately.

I'm terrible with things like this and would have to phone and query it. I just think if I don't it's bound to come and bite me on the bum at a later date.

I know if it were us it would come back to bite! J had such a lot of work done and part of it was insurance and it was easy to get mixed up - but I always thought that if they did miss something I'd better allow for it in any case.

With my horse vet I would tell him immediately if he had missed something off the bill, he is extremely reasonable, does his best to avoid unnecessary tests and costly investigations unless it is absolutely essential. He doesn't cheat me and I won't cheat him.

However, my dog's vet - well I would be keeping very quiet about it and hope for the best. These last couple of years their charges have rocketed and they love to advise the most costly and seldom needed treatment IMO. I am currently looking for a new small animal practice, but I suspect they are all greedy gobshites now.:rolleyes:

Reactions: nat17
However, my dog's vet - well I would be keeping very quiet about it and hope for the best. These last couple of years their charges have rocketed and they love to advise the most costly and seldom needed treatment IMO. I am currently looking for a new small animal practice, but I suspect they are all greedy gobshites now.:rolleyes:

That is sort of how I feel with my horse vet. I think they are very knowledgeable and the treatment my horse has received and the support I received from them has been brilliant however they charge for everything like cotton wool balls and they really overcharge for some things. If you are insured they will milk that for all it is worth. I won't switch because I don't trust any of the other local vets so I feel a bit stuck.

I've been thinking about it since I posted earlier. When you add it all up, I bet they are paying pennies for the flu jags but charging much much more to the customers (I'd happily put money on around 75% of the cost of a jag being profit for the vets), they won't miss the money if they forget to charge someone now and again. If it were something big then I'd phone up but for something like a jag I wouldn't.

I would be straight on the phone to tell them. Wouldn't sit right with me to keep quiet. I have a great vet,99% pay him cash on the day but I have had a bill. I just think without your vet even if they are expensive and yes may not always get it right,they are worth their weight in gold to me as they could save my horse. I'm the same with farriers. I would just ring and say they missed it and could you pay please, also been like that sits well in the vets eyes and if you ever needed help with a payment plan or something,that sort of thing goes in your favour :)

That is sort of how I feel with my horse vet. I think they are very knowledgeable and the treatment my horse has received and the support I received from them has been brilliant however they charge for everything like cotton wool balls and they really overcharge for some things. If you are insured they will milk that for all it is worth. I won't switch because I don't trust any of the other local vets so I feel a bit stuck.

I've been thinking about it since I posted earlier. When you add it all up, I bet they are paying pennies for the flu jags but charging much much more to the customers (I'd happily put money on around 75% of the cost of a jag being profit for the vets), they won't miss the money if they forget to charge someone now and again. If it were something big then I'd phone up but for something like a jag I wouldn't.

Oh easily, I am sure this is true as a few vet companies (not equine vets admittedly) offer free annual jabs if you sign up with their practice.

Reactions: Rubic
Ale has his own savings account which I pay into monthly so not worried about having to pay it in a month of so. My vets call out fee is £55 alone so I've decided to wait and see what happens. I'm sure they will notice but if not I'm sure the £300 I paid for the scan will keep them ticking over haha

Reactions: Rubic
I wouldnt chase them for an error they have perhaps made, but I would be prepared for it to arrive at a later date!

Nope don't fess up! Their mistake.

Same thing happened to me at Xmas, unfortunately the vets realised the £200 discrepancy and charged me the following month :(

I was expecting a bill for sox though it hasn't come yet. I rang them to double check. I will be getting a bill soon lol. When I have bought my new saddle and paid people off sox will have his own account.

Good idea to set up a special horse account ...I think if it were me, I'd tell them; if I thought they were overcharging, I wouldn't try and cheat them out of small sums, I'd find another vet.

I don't think they are overcharging I just also don't think they will really miss it, and at £80 a jab it's a fair amount to me. At the end of the day it is their error not mine so I've decided to just leave it. The vet was 2.5 hours late for my appointment anyway.

Good idea to set up a special horse account ...I think if it were me, I'd tell them; if I thought they were overcharging, I wouldn't try and cheat them out of small sums, I'd find another vet.

Tell my vet and they will say "ok then, bye" and unfortunately I am not happy with the other 2 vets in my area, one diagnosed a friends horse wrong then when they did realise what was wrong the condition wasn't treated with the urgency required and in the end the horse had to be PTS and I feel the other practice doesn't have good facilities and has very inexperienced and unsupported equine vets.

I have absolutely NEVER "cheated" my vets out of any money (I would never cheat anyone out of money no matter how skint I was thanks very much), in fact I have paid every single penny the minute the bill has came through my door but if I thought something had been missed through a mistake at my vets end I wouldn't question it, I'd just go with what was written in black and white but would pay up if they sent a bill for it at a later date. The fact of the matter is that all my bills have been so full of charges I actually wouldn't have noticed if something was missing.

newrider.com