the usual....how much weight?

Eanruig

Jul 14, 2007
Hi everyone,

I've posted before about my Eriskay pony....well, a lot of things changed since and I definitely know more by now.....still not enough though.

My boy is much smaller than I thought he was, I did a mistake with recalculating from meters to hands etc. so he's now about 12.3 or so.
He is 3,5 years old and currently being ridden by a 12 year old boy.
I am about 10 stone myself, some people say that's fine, some say it is not, so I was wondering what your opinion would be of me riding him.

I've read some of your threads here and definitely won't ride him till he is 5 or 6 and see how much he still grows (he is still downhill a bit).

In case he only gets stronger, not taller, what do you think?

Here's a picture of me on Henry back on Skye when I knew much less than today....shame on me, I know:

dscn4874jv5.jpg

secondly, I rode Henry for about 3-4 months, never for a long time, very very shortly at the beginning, a bit longer later on. How much damage do you think I might have caused him already?

and for anybody worrying about the pony now, don't. I found a great person who is training him correctly now according to his age etc and who is teaching me a lot too. We both learn from a knowledgeable person now, I would just like to know if Henry can recover from bad riding/teaching or whether I might have caused him serious harm.
Thanks a lot :(

I doubt you will have done him that much harm. I don't really know a lot about the weights they can carry, and yes you look a bit big. The other thing to take into accoun is that a too heavy balanced rider s not ideal...but better than an unbalanced rider of the same weight :)

I'm afraid I can't really answer your question, but want to say a huge well done for seeing/accepting your mistake and doing everything you can to put it right. At the end of the day, they are wild animals, designed to deal with harsh climates and with this in mind you have probably in his life time done more good than harm.

Well done.

@Vicky, thanks a lot for this nice comment. I talk a lot to his loaner and try to learn as much as I can.I know a did a lot of things wrong with him, but I am really happy he is at a good place now. He seems very happy and healthy there.

I think ponies are a lot stronger than most people think, so I'll give him time and see how he is in a couple of years and then decide again.

Thanks for your replies :)

i can't really answer your question as i think you will have to see what he is like when he has grown/aged a bit but i'm 10 stone and i own/ride a 12.3hh 20yr old mare. she carries me fine. I am hoping to lose weight but i know she doesn't mind my weight

I think once your lovely pony is mature, as you say 5-6 years he will carry you fine.
I dont know much about the breed but he looks as though he will!
I backed my exy mare early, weighing 9.5 stone. She was 3.5 years old. rode for very short periods (around 20 mins max after building up to that)
But I did take her on some distance rides when she was just 5. We did about 10 miles. One day I decided to weigh myself in full winter riding kit and saddle and it was virtually 11 stone!!! I was really worried. I now have a lighter saddle and have gone down to 9.4 so have got it down to about 10.5 stone that she carries inc tack, winter riding clothes.
She has never given me the impression that she was struggling, I think we get brain washed by some people:) Ponies are stronger that people think especially the native chunky ones.

I am not an authority, but I wouldnt have thought that at 10 stone for shortish periods you would have done any harm, especially if you kept it all on the slower side!

newrider.com