The usefulness of the clicker

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
The other day I was working Ziggy in hand over coloured poles. As always he got very stressed and began to refuse to go forward at all, but we overcame it after a while and using the clicker.

I noticed at the end of the session that he was very anxious indeed about ropes around his quarters. He is absolutely fine with rugs, but would not stand still even for a second with a droopy rope over his bottom. He didn't run, but moved quickly away from the sensation of the rope.

Today I took him into the shelter and did 15 minutes' desensitisation with the clicker. I started with the light lunge line, rubbed him all over with it, and then began draping it over and around his back end, under his tail etc while asking him to stand. He was anxious, but stood because he knew I had the clicker.

In the end I moved to my heavy white long rope (which scared him the other day) and he stood like a pro while I wrapped him up like a parcel :biggrin:.

Next time I will get him to walk a bit with the rope in place but I was very pleased with the first day. So was he, he got a whole small carrot chopped into little bits!

I love my clicker :redface:

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Yay Ziggy!!! I have not done clicker because Tobes is full on and a proper mugger!!!

However, I have done a lot of NH with Tobes, who was scared of lots and lots of things and whose default reaction was kick out!!!

Plastic bags were a real issue - I tied one on a carrot stick and walked in front of him initially waving it. I guess it took an hour and he was fine having the bag rubbed all over him. His back legs were also an issue, and for a few days I dragged a bag behind him a couple of years ago when walking from the stables to the field - cue much kicking out, but he got it in the end. Tarps after that were a breeze and after having spent a huge amount on a tarp and putting it down expecting a massive freak out ............. he walked over it without hesitation!!!

Recently he has had a cut on the leg and we have very boggy fields. So I put lint and a plastic bag over the leg. Plastic bags after the desensitation are no problem whatsoever and he stands beautifully to have them on.

Whichever way you get there with all sorts of things is fab. I wish I had a less 'mugging' horse because clicker training sounds brilliant, but I know what he is like!!!

Am a huge believer in the horse having an issue and taking the time it takes or whatever method works, to get them over it.

Edited to add - with ropes with the NH, you flick the carrot stick with line over them and the line. And when they are OK with that you whip the line beside them - doesn't take long.

Y

Yann

It's a great tool for this sort of thing isn't it :) The key thing is to break the steps down small enough so the horse stays happy about the whole thing, it's great discipline for us to have to think about it and work that way too.

What the clicker can give you with scary things that other approaches can't is an element of counter conditioning, you're changing the association he has with the ropes (bad things) and replacing it with a nice thing (playing the game and food rewards).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Francis Burton Usefulness/advisability of 'controlling' food Training of the Horse and Rider 25
Ale I have a problem with clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 10
chunky monkey Clicker training with distractions Cafe 4
Ale Clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 20
Jane&Ziggy Clicker training with Sid Training of the Horse and Rider 3
Jane&Ziggy Headshy Charlie and the clicker Training of the Horse and Rider 3
chunky monkey Clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Ale Clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 15
chunky monkey Clicker training sound Training of the Horse and Rider 6
L Clicker training or NH? Training of the Horse and Rider 5
J Clicker Training Clinic, South West Training of the Horse and Rider 3
Dizzy Woo Clicker training advise Training of the Horse and Rider 5
Flipo's Mum A Clicker in the Wrong Hands is a Dangerous Thing! Help!!! Training of the Horse and Rider 8
Gill Clicker training, great for confidence Training of the Horse and Rider 7
W Clicker training! Training of the Horse and Rider 16
nat17 Clicker training = good results Training of the Horse and Rider 24
Bodshi Clicker v non-clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 11
Kite_Rider Tell me about Clicker Training Training of the Horse and Rider 3
WeeBarraxO Clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Laura2184 Healthy treats to use for clicker training? Training of the Horse and Rider 33
Jane&Ziggy Clicker success: the benefits of colic and laminitis Training of the Horse and Rider 8
daisysp8 Clicker and liberty ... *vid* Cafe 10
Jane&Ziggy Why I like clicker training Cafe 4
P clicker/in hand training Training of the Horse and Rider 1
liz_scarlet Anyone tried Clicker training??? Training of the Horse and Rider 14
Jane&Ziggy A clicker-training success Training of the Horse and Rider 12
Jane&Ziggy Clicker training - which clicker? Training of the Horse and Rider 7
H clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Flipo's Mum Experiences of Clicker Training Anyone? Training of the Horse and Rider 26
Y Major Breakthrough - Clicker And Injection Phobia Training of the Horse and Rider 17
S Where to get a clicker from? Training of the Horse and Rider 9
Dannii5691 Clicker Training new horse? Training of the Horse and Rider 4
N Clicker Training Teachers Training of the Horse and Rider 1
Native Lover Loading problems...Could clicker training help? Training of the Horse and Rider 20
J Clicker Training Training of the Horse and Rider 3
TiggerthePony Clicker training - cones! Training of the Horse and Rider 2
B Clicker Training Training of the Horse and Rider 10
notpoodle clicker - how to start Training of the Horse and Rider 13
leah&lydia Clicker Training???????? Training of the Horse and Rider 10
ginakatie Clicker Training Training of the Horse and Rider 16
michelle c trailer loading problem! clicker/parelli Training of the Horse and Rider 13
denisextilly Clicker experts! Training of the Horse and Rider 6
B Clicker Question Training of the Horse and Rider 6
F Clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 37
KP nut nh vs clicker/reinforcement training Training of the Horse and Rider 34
Innocence Books for clicker training Training of the Horse and Rider 7
poniesrule Just Started Clicker Training Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Iron Maiden Clicker training - sensitive muzzle! Training of the Horse and Rider 20
A Clicker training? Training of the Horse and Rider 7
MaisieMoo Getting to yes - Sharon Foley Clicker training? Training of the Horse and Rider 0