The ups and downs of Gingers training - video

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Well there has been some up and by that I mean the rear end and down by that I mean the well nothing really.

As some of you are aware I have taken bringing Ginger back to work very slowly as I felt it was the chance to start fresh. Unfortunately someone forgot to tell ginger!

All was going OK he was lovely and calm for the first 3 weeks walk trot and then canter moved up a level and started hacking. The first did not go well with the pony behind us slipping while leaving the woods which sent Ginger in to a 'yeap we are finally cantering' err no we are on the road.

If you look at the video and see the buck he did this none stop for a couple of minutes up the road stopping traffic. The next week he was foot perfect again.

The video was last week. No reason for it this was the third time he did this in that session from both walk and trot. He had gone passed my OH about 20 times before this one the other 2 spooks were in a different part of the school but followed the same pattern.

Then we had our first group lesson.....the first 20 minutes were similar to the video but then some thing clicked and OMG he was amazing. It felt right on the edge of out of control his movement took my breath away and I left with tears in my eyes.

yesterday was just awful but managed to work through it and again he was so soft and round it felt fab.

Today I knew in my head I wanted to start jumping him again. we had been doing trotting poles so just the next step and as there were two small x poles already set up I thought perfect.

and

He was great not a hoof wrong , popped them from trot and canter.

The funny thing was a friend was watching that I have known for years and she yelled out that she had never seen Ginger do anything silly. Which made to two I was in the school with laugh as they have seen plenty. To which Ginger thought great good time to show off and did one of his moves.

I love this pony he has so much attitude but with so much scope and personailty to match. I would not change him or his ways for the world.

Hope the video makes you laugh

Attachments

• video-1452808162.mp4.zip
    886.1 KB · Views: 87

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Aw love it. He really is an overgrown pony isn't he, got all the moves! "I'm just going to walk along here reeeeally calmly and quietly and then..." BAM! half way across the school in less than a second :cool: At least it was only a tiny buck! Though I'd rather ride that move on a horse than a 12.2, at least you've got something in front of you!
I am amused by the image of him stopping traffic. I'm sure there's a career move in there somewhere. School crossing patrol?

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
How old is he now? Could it be "The Kevins" or is he old enough to know better?

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Oscar has been taking lessons from his fellow Ginger..... He pulled an almost identical move yesterday, also out of nowhere. Sadly my daughter finds it less funny than you do! Ginger is looking very good :cool:

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I couldn't open the video on my phone, but my computer lets me.

I would have fallen straight off and then cried at the buck! Luckily Ben feels that moving so quickly requires too much energy so doesn't bother!

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Haha, naughty boy! That's Raf's default move for getting out of something boring too, although minus the buck (thank goodness). He also waits until I've got my reins too long to do anything about it!

Ginger is gorgeous, even if he is a bit mischievous :) Haven't seen a picture of the lovely Chanter for a while though ... and I do have a soft spot for Chanter.

OwnedbyChanter

Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
@Bodshi thank you. Chanter is still quite the man and still being ridden 3 -4 times a week and just as cheeky. I will get my OH to take a picture this week of the old man and I.

I had a nightmare trying to get it to upload will have another go

Reactions: Bodshi

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I've now looked at this. Looks as if he just spooked at the camera. Maybe a sudden move or reflected light? Not naughtiness.

Tho edited to say you mention him doing it elsewhere in the school too.

OwnedbyChanter

Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Skib my oh stands in the same place every night watching and videoing me. Yesterday he did the same in the outdoor I was the only one in there. It is one of his many tricks.

You have to love him for it or sell him !
How old is he now? Could it be "The Kevins" or is he old enough to know better?

He is eight in Feb. I am ever hopeful that he will tire of testing my riding skills. I am still waiting

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
oh well sat, my heart was in my mouth lol mine used to do what i called his duck and dive, he would have all of a sudden dropped the shoulder and spun the opposite direction to try and unseat me lol

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
He he cheeky boy, Belle did something very similar this morning when I asked her to wake up! It is thankfully rare for her though, but like you say, helps you be a better rider I guess.