The troubles with Koppertox

lazyobie29kr

western
Aug 1, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
It is awfully wet and muddy out and my horses have thrush, not that bad, but it's there. So I bought some Koppertox, which I know works wonders for thrushy horses. The problem is, the darn stuff came in a squeeze bottle (like a dish soap bottle) and needless to say it got EVERYWHERE. The sticky, smelly, staining green stuff is impossible to push out of a syringe for it makes the darn thing so sticky. (I was trying to push it down into the hoof and it suddenly came loose and it ricocheted off the hoof into my face and eyes...no fun, plus I smelt terrible for the rest of the evening :( ) So I guess I’m asking if there is a clean and easy way to get the koppertox from the bottle to the hoof without dealing with the sticky mess?? Please let me know if ya have any good ideas!

I've never had any luck not getting Kopertox everywhere. :rolleyes: What I would suggest is trying a homemade mix(something like bleach). There's a thread on here somewhere about homemade thrush mixes. Anyway, if you make one with bleach you could put it in a contact solution bottle(or something like it) which would make it easy to dispense. Also, the bleach is clear so it would be visible, although you would still smell.

or paint it on with a brush. over here you can buy the bottles with the brush attached to the top.. otherwise the brush will turn to the consistency of a very hard rock if you keep it out which makes it pretty much useless.

newrider.com