The transition from Pelham to 3 ring snaffle???

HJ

Oct 13, 2008
East Midlands
Has anybody done the transition from a Pelham to a 3 ring Snaffle?

I did it the weekend after riding in a Pelham for 9 months. His way of going has improved dramatically, he has always worked round with no hesitation or fighting but has tossed his head somewhat when doing downwards transitions, this wasn't all the time and was usually controlled with giving of the rein.

I always just assumed this was his paddy as the Pelham seemed to work well for everything else.

At the weekend we decided just to try another bit so we decided on the 3 ring snaffle: we though some of the affects it had were the same as the Pelham but not as severe when used on the snaffle ring.

I am so glad I did, he worked fantastically, no pulling no resistance no head tossing, seems he really likes it.

Has anyone made this change or use this bit? How do you find it?

What your describing is a 3 ring or dutch gag :)
Maybe you should try him in a universal as it has a simular action but isn't so severe. They are really good bits, I ride my horse in one for jumping but am trying to go back to loose ring snaffle

The Pelham was what he came in and he seemed to work well in it plus I used it instead of a double bridle for showing. It wasn't until i got to know him and his way of going that I thought he wasn't happy with something whilst ridden.

The reason I chose this bit is because I wanted similar functions but without the curb, if you can recommend a different bit Im all ears but he does seem to go a lot better in this.

There is little similarity between the two bits but as the saying goes 'if it isn't broken don't fix it'. Stick with what is working. One snag is you would not be able to do dressage or show in it.

Without seeing you or your horse or knowing what pelham you had just guessing. When we get a new horse we start at loose ring french link and work from there but we are lucky to have a large collection of bits to try.

My pony is in a dutch gag, on the first ring and she's perfect in it. I jump, hack around, and do PC in it, but just change it for comps/dressage.

as people no, cloud was in a pelham for a lot of her life, ran through it, pulled down, had no breaks etc. so i chaged to a 2 ring, snaffle for schooling, and bottom for hacking and jumping and pony club and is much better, lifts her head up and i have breaks. works for me

I use both bits.

I use a 3 ring gaha for jumping and xc, for breaks lol, so because i can't show in it, I use the pelham for showing. I dont use the hanging cheek for showing, because Jenny is extremly strong on the show ground, so i would have no control on her. Both bits are great in my opinion! :D

newrider.com