The "Think Horse" Advert

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TguLKMJjso

This might have been discussed before, but I thought it worth bringing up again. What do you think, as a rider?

My speakers aren't working so I haven't watched it with sound, but I get that a) the horse is stressed and b) the driver is revving and perhaps honking.

My first thought is that good to see them wearing Hi viz - a good advert for vBandz there.

Second was that riding double abreast on a corner is foolish. I know it's recommended in general with a novice horse, (or a kid, as in the advert) but still. It's really not safe, particularly on a blind bend like that, they ought to be riding single file.

Especially as the kid and pony are fine - it's the horse who's causing the problems!

All I see really is an ignorant horse rider refusing to pull in when the road would be wide enough for the car to pass safely if they halted in single file. Yes the driver is being overly impatient and reacting extremely badly, but IMO the horse rider is at fault.

Also, it's not nearly shocking enough. I'm sure the biker one has a full blown (staged) accident to really make people think.

I agree that its not nearly shocking enough.
The bike advert actually makes you really think.
What about how many horses are killed on Britains roads?
And what about the serious damage done to the car (which is usually all a driver like the one in the advert would care about! :rolleyes:) and also possibly to the rider?

It does make the horse rider look somewhat arrogant and unhelpful. I think a much better scenario could have been thought out. On a tiny road like that we would always go into single file and wave the car past when safe to do so.

Our main problems are cars speeding past us with inches to spare without slowing down through our village etc. It would be nice to see them trying to educate car drivers to slow down in the first place, then pass wide.

The more I watch it, the more I think it as rediculously shot and if anything, will just make drivers think more poorly of horse riders.

Fair enough, it's agreat idea to promote safety, but the BHS should think things through sensibly. They could have had a single file and two drivers trying to pass at the same time (which happens more often to me).

To play devils advocate however, the more room you give the idiot type of driver the more they'll try to squeeze through gaps that are too small putting both you and other road users in danger. Sometimes I will ride in the middle of my side of the road, making it quite clear that there is no room to pass here. It eliminates the 'can I/can't I' thought process that encourages drivers to take risks. If they can't pass wide they can't pass at all. I just don't give them the opportunity to be idiots.

I don't wave traffic past on a bend either, because I can see round it and they can't. Some of the girls I ride with do this. Drivers should make their own decisions based on what THEY can see, not what you tell them is ok. They can sit behind me until we're round the bend for all I care, my pony isn't bothered (lucky me) and it is safer than overtaking under the circumstances. I won't be liable for any resulting accidents if they try to anyway.

I don't deliberately try to get in peoples way, but I don't let them treat me like a second rate road user either. I'm lucky to have a bombproof in traffic type, I don't know what I'd do if I had a horse who played up like that one is.

we always ride double like that here as if not cars tend to squeeze past and almost shove horses out the way. if we double up they have to slow down and pass wide

not a very good advery tho

If I feel someone is being rude when trying to over take I will simply move into the middle of the lane - still single file - as they still have to give me more room. That seems to work, but luckily we are on straight roads so i don't have to worry about blind corners etc

I do agree that this makes the riders look really ignorant. In this situation I would move into single file if there was room, or else trot on to the next driveway or wider space so they can pass. Or at the very least turn round and gesture to say thanks for waiting not just ignore the car completely. I agree with sleepybear - drivers slowly passing you a bit too close on a narrow road causes me much less of an issue than drivers who zoom past at the same distance at 60mph

really anooys me when riders ride side by side.... then are rude and ignoranr to drivers when they slow down etc.....

this happens to me regular and it really annoys me

i know the young/nervous horses etc argument but it works both ways......

horses dont pay tax... poo everywhere and are an obstruction on the road in some cases... so tbh riders should be a little bit more helpful and ride single file if needby...

rant over... :p

I don't disagree with riding two abreast where it is safe and appropriate to do so, and I think I cover that in my original post, but riding two abreast on a corner is plain foolish.

We all know that some drivers think nothing of going 10-20 miles above an appropriate speed on country lanes and IMO, particularly when the little girls pony was clearly fine, single file would've been significantly safer on a blind bend.

I'm also one for moving into the middle of the road to slow a driver (as well as giving the slow down cue with my arm) but again only if I feel it is safe to do so. I have to say I haven't had any problems recently (not that I ride out much!) but the few I have signalled to slow have done so without visible complaint. ;)

Frankly though, with the sort of driver in the advert, I would want them to get past me and get past me now - it's safer to have them in front of me than beeping and revving behind me!

I don't disagree with riding two abreast where it is safe and appropriate to do so, and I think I cover that in my original post, but riding two abreast on a corner is plain foolish.

We all know that some drivers think nothing of going 10-20 miles above an appropriate speed on country lanes and IMO, particularly when the little girls pony was clearly fine, single file would've been significantly safer on a blind bend.

I'm also one for moving into the middle of the road to slow a driver (as well as giving the slow down cue with my arm) but again only if I feel it is safe to do so. I have to say I haven't had any problems recently (not that I ride out much!) but the few I have signalled to slow have done so without visible complaint. ;)

Frankly though, with the sort of driver in the advert, I would want them to get past me and get past me now - it's safer to have them in front of me than beeping and revving behind me!

yeah i get what your saying....

the people ive met several times riding 2 abreast on a country road (which is actualyl a 60mph) but i wolud never do 60 down there....

thery ride side by side taking up the entire side of the road where im going so i have to go accross the other side to get past (if i could overtake)! but the road is that dangerous that i wouldnt overtake!!!

and then they moan when drivers get annoyed with them! :rolleyes:

dont get me wrong - ive hacked on roads in my time :p but at the end of the day - cars have more right to be on roads than horses (imo) so riders need to remember to respect that... :)

really anooys me when riders ride side by side.... then are rude and ignoranr to drivers when they slow down etc.....

this happens to me regular and it really annoys me

i know the young/nervous horses etc argument but it works both ways......

horses dont pay tax... poo everywhere and are an obstruction on the road in some cases... so tbh riders should be a little bit more helpful and ride single file if needby...

rant over... :p

Horses are entitled to be on the road, like pedestrians there is no tax to pay or license to grant permission because it is a right not a privilege! Car drivers would do well to remember that they are granted permission under license to be on the road, it is not a right. However, with every right comes responsibility, and horse riders should behave in a responsible manner including riding single file where it is the most responisble course of action.

Horses are entitled to be on the road, like pedestrians there is no tax to pay or license to grant permission because it is a right not a privilege! Car drivers would do well to remember that they are granted permission under license to be on the road, it is not a right. However, with every right comes responsibility, and horse riders should behave in a responsible manner including riding single file where it is the most responisble course of action.

yeah i hear ya :p

just sick of the ignorant riders round here thinking they own the road :p

if they road single file and wore hi-viz... less accidents hopefully and more happpier drivers.....

mabey i just live in an area of horrible people :p

newrider.com