The sheep, the Storm and the lost stirrup!!!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well I just had to post this! I wanted to share and have posted in the Confidence section because quite frankly, 12 months ago, I think it might have been a quite different post! Some of you may already know what a wuss I am but for those that don't I had to be led around on a lead rein and this time last year whilst the finishing touches were being made to our arena I was still hacking with extreme jelly legs lest my horse go any faster than a mildly entertaining trot!
So, point is, my cantering confidence has grown and this morning whilst cantering on my "bad" rein, a sheep decided to choose the exact moment as I came around the corner in the school to pop out from the hedge and spook Storm!:help: Resulting in me tipping forward ignobly and losing a stirrup and croaking helplessly to OH "help! please come and stop this horse"!:cry: To which OH came at a :sluggish: pace out of the tackroom and giggled and did absolutely nothing whilst watch me whizzing around minus stirrup on board freshly spooked horse! I had to see the funny side, changed the rein and carried on. There, done it. Official huge spooking session in canter over. Legs - not jelly. Pride - dinted somewhat and glad I didn't have an audience (the sheep didn't count:showoff:) Just wanted to let all you fellow cantering wusses out there know, if Trewsers can parade around on her bad rein minus a stirrup then so can you!!! (Not that you want to, but its nice to know that it can be done)!!!:giggle::giggle:

Thanks tbaynancy! lol, if you could have heard my weedy voice! OH was tickled cos I sounded so feeble, he said he was sitting in the tackroom at the time and all he heard was this little voice saying "help, help! please stop the horse"! hehehehehee. Its ok him laughing tho isn't it?! He's not cantered Joe (for health reasons on Joe's part) for months, just wait until he does...........!!!!!

Do you think this is Storm's way of secretly saying "see Mum, told you you could do it! now can we carry on going fast please?" :giggle:

Well done!

The sheep, the storm...Sounds like the title of a good western! Well done for coping! I'm a bag of nerves at the moment so not sure I would have done!

Superb :dance:

I have said similar about another situation but it often takes for us the deal well with a dificult situation to truly appreciate the progress we've made.

If we stayed within our comfort zone then how can we ever become more confident :biggrin:

Yes, tis true, agree, staying in our comfort zone doesn't really get us anywhere!!! Because it was forced upon me, I dealt with it and moved on! Still pleased about not turning to jelly! Tho it was very windy down our way this morning and I have to say, neither OH or myself did very much - we did some "pair work" and concentrated on slower stuff - well, Joe is a tb you know.......

Fantastic. Well done.
It's all good confidence building stuff (after the event, may I add!!)

Thanks guys, must admit, OH and myself chickened out this morning as it was so windy at our house (and we were running late) so we did some walking in-hand instead! The more I do the more I feel better about the whole thing tho, even walking up the top field with madam dancing about didn't bother me (I can also be a bit wussy on the ground too!!!)

newrider.com