The search for Flipo's History continues...any suggestions?

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Don't know if anyone remembers but I've been trying to find out a bit more regarding my Belgian draft's background. Hoping it might help explain his behaviour and abilities or lack there of.

Imported from the Netherlands last year and I bought him from an RS up north but prior to that I know nothing. From his passport thanks to Bluntcrayon I found his breeder and know that he was sold at seven months to a dealer. I emailed back for the dealer info and the breeder responded tonight saying he contacted the local dealer and he doesn't keep records that far back (2000).
So a dead end it would seem, but I will ask the breeder about likely possibilities - to where he may have ended up. Other than that I'm not wanting to give up so easy. So I come to my point, any ideas where or what to try now?

I thought possibly long shots such as Belgian/ Dutch horsey magazines, forums, I'm also writing to the passport issuer to see if they know anything since the passport was only issued in 2008 just before I assume they were thinking about exporting.

Thanks for reading.
Kirst
x

Yes true..I think I must have blanked that option out in my head, I'm just a little reluctant to ask them since I had a not so good experience when buying him. They were incredibly vague when I asked questions about his history but guess it's worth an email at least, being a wuss I wouldn't be too confident about calling!

Perhaps he was used for driving or farm work It may explain some of his behaviour he maybe more comfortable working in a pair. OH just said Have you tried him in blinkers and see if his behaviour changes.

Yeah I guess, the dealer did say she thought he'd been used for driving but I took that with a pinch of salt when he didn't really fit any of the rest of his discription but to be fair horses change when they're moved.
Now to get some blinkers, I have a friend up north who is dying to drive him, she ploughs with her too, think once the lambing is done I might get her to come have a go-good suggestion!

Yes true..I think I must have blanked that option out in my head, I'm just a little reluctant to ask them since I had a not so good experience when buying him. They were incredibly vague when I asked questions about his history but guess it's worth an email at least, being a wuss I wouldn't be too confident about calling!

If they're vague, then I think an email might be the best bet. It's hard to avoid answering a straightforward question in an email.

newrider.com