The saddle, my position, and Molly

bexj

May 8, 2002
Penistone
www.mollycob.blogspot.com
Anyone who has read any of my posts recently will know that during a recent intensive riding course, I was taught to use my legs much more effectively. So, I came home, tried on Molly, and no - couldn't get it! The saddle, it transpires, is too wide, therefore tipping me forwards, and not allowing me to put my legs in the right place.

I borrowed a Wintec riser pad this week, and have felt much better during a couple of hacks, but today was the first chance I had to try it out in the school. What a difference! I could use my legs much better (Eml - sorry no spinning gaiters yet:eek: ) and I felt much more comfortable.

I tried some new warm up techniques with Molly, which I think worked ok, but there were enormous amounts of distractions around, including 3 stallions within sniffing distance:eek: Not good when on board a mare in spring time! Then, the bug bear for me, has been my canter. It either ends in a flat out gallop around the school, or Moll with her head between her knees, and me sitting on her withers.:eek: Today, it was a dream! It was controlled, dare I say even collected:D It was nearly as good on the bad rein as it was on the good rein, and I spent some time doing canter/trot/canter transitions. Something that a fortnight ago I couldn't have dreamed of.

Even Adalberto, the YO's OH, commented on how much we have improved - and compliments don't come from him often! I am so pleased!:D :D

Have eventually found a saddle fitter - they are coming out on 6th May:D :D

Last edited:
Chickflick - thanks! We both seem to be making great progress with our respective neds

Eml - hmmm never thought it might be the shape of the horse - I'm kind of hoping it is!

I'm going to try and persuade OH to come to the yard later so we can play jumping cobs, and hopefully put some of the jumping skills I learnt into practice too (if I can find enough things to use as jump wings;) )

Sorry, I have tried searching. But could you please link to the post where you explained the new way you were told to use your legs?
And what the Wintec riser pad is that could make such a difference to the width?
Both might help me.

Hi Skib

I wasn't told online how to use my leg - I went on an excellent intensive 3 days of riding lessons at eml's riding school in Leicestershire, and it was there that she taught me! Basically, my seat and body position were fine, but my lower leg seemed to have a mind of its own. I was pushing it forwards (possibly because I have had to ride Molly quite defensively in the past), but drawing it back and up to give an aid, then letting it flop forwards again. I now have regained some control:D of it, and I have learnt to keep it back, and wrapped around the horse, so it is much easier to apply consistent and accurate leg aids.

We have recently changed Molly's bit to discouraged the tanking off around the school, but because of this poor leg position, I was unable to either sustain a canter for more than one or 2 strides (if I got it at all) and also was unable to sit properly when Molly tried to put her head down (not bucking, just yanking her head down to rebalance herself), so the correction of the leg position has helped with this massively.

The Wintec pad, www.tds-saddlers.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=3082

helps to rise the saddle which was sitting on her withers. If I tried to ride in the correct position, the saddle would tip me forwards onto my fork - bring my legs forward again, and I went back to sit on my backside. Although not perfect, the pad is helping me to stay sat on my bum, but have my legs in the correct position, as well as probably making Molly feel a bit more comfortable. There is a possibility that the pad might make the fit of the saddle a bit tight at her shoulders, but this is better than having the saddle (and me) pressing on her withers, and it will certainly be ok for the next few weeks until the saddler comes.

Hope this helps, what sort of problems are you having?

newrider.com