The one rein stop.....

Talibutts

Nov 1, 2010
Pie Land
A while ago my daughter saw a pic of Kelly Marks riding Pie and she had clips on her reins. She liked the idea, found some in the Rideaway mag, and put them on our reins.

They have been on for over 12 months, however, hacking out today my pone went to have a drink out of a puddle, so I let her, she then itched her foot, and managed to unclip one side of the reins.

Well I swear she knew what she had done, she was off (not literally thank God!) hoovering up as much grass as possible, if I tried to lift her head with my 'one rein' she turned circles, quite fast, too fast for my liking with one rein anyway! My daughter was laughing at the state of us, I am not a confident rider but my mare is 99.5% saint and 0.5% humour as she did her best to stop the rein being reattached.

I have now took them off and attached the reins in the traditional way!:redface:

HATE HATE HATE clips on reins. We don't make them and refuse to make them.

I know Icelandic bridles etc, tend to use them, but your story demonstrates why we really don't like them!! It doesn't take THAT long to unbuckle buckles or un-hook hookstuds to change bits - so much safer, in our opinion.

Glad your mare was sensible! :D

LOL that's why most folk who have Icelandics have clips, they ought to stop on the seat and not the rein, and be sane enough to reclip without having to get on and off.

It has never happened to me in 15 years of using them, it has happened to Frances twice, but all you do it lean down and reattach it....maybe not for the faint hearted.

Having said that , having them in a riding school has saved many a panic attack where kids have dropped reins and got into a buckle of dirt with them.

I wouldn't tend to use them on anything that was strong or not trustworthy.

LOL that's why most folk who have Icelandics have clips, they ought to stop on the seat and not the rein, and be sane enough to reclip without having to get on and off.

My OH has just started riding a friends Icelandic, and is most indignant when I try and give any form of instruction maybe I'll unclip one as I overtake to check how he stops instead.. :devil: :giggle:

HTML:
It has never happened to me in 15 years of using them, it has happened to Frances twice, but all you do it lean down and reattach it....maybe not for the faint hearted.

I probably could of clipped it back on if she stopped eating grass, and picked her head up for me, we have had no turnout since 1st December in her defence because its been so wet.

HTML:
My OH has just started riding a friends Icelandic, and is most indignant when I try and give any form of instruction maybe I'll unclip one as I overtake to check how he stops instead..

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

My daughter rides with one of those 'cordeo' things, me I am nearly 50, didn't learn to ride till I was 41 and have too many achy joints already so I try and keep it simple...reins, saddle and stirrups lol

newrider.com